UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jdarchon
Visitor

MIG Fails to Update Properties to Reflect Changes

Version info:

Vivado 2017.3

Linux (Ubuntu)

KC705 Platform

I have encountered an extremely frustrating problem that results in a large amount of churn from a miniscule change.

I have an instantiation of MIG (the latest included in 2017.3) and am attempting to update the ui_addn_clk_0 frequency to be 50MHz instead of 25MHz. Simple, right?

I'm able to recustomize the IP and make the change. The D (dividor) factor in the MIG reflects this. After recustomizing the IP, I am presented with the "regenerate output products" dialogue. Click generate. At this point I am _unable_ to regenerate output products for this IP because "only the parent sub-design can regenerate products for this IP" etc. etc. I _am_ able to synthesize the entire block design, though. The problem is that the ui_addn_clk_0 pin shows a property (under CONFIG) FREQ_HZ still stuck at 25MHz and not 50MHz. As a result, the erroneous 25MHz property propagates throughout the system and results in things like our UART running at the wrong baud rate.

Some things I tried out of desperation to force a "refresh" on the CONFIG of the MIG:

• Copy and paste the MIG. "Does not support copy/paste" (incredible.)
  • Cut/paste - Same deal obviously
  • Resynthesize entire block design

Finally I had to resort to the laborious process of re-adding an entire instantiation of the MIG, costing me about 20 minutes and introducing error prone work of re-wiring a handful of signals. I am continually impressed (and disappointed) with how unusable FPGA tools continue to be in this day and age. The MIG has always been a particular PITA (and I've even had an FAE tell me personally that over 80% of peoples problems arise from MIG instantiations). Absolutely ridiculous.

What is the recommended flow for updating parameters on a MIG instantiation? Why don't the properties update automatically, let alone after a full resynthesis (which should regenerate output products on it)?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: MIG Fails to Update Properties to Reflect Changes

Hello @jdarchon,

Most parameters in IPI are not fully updated and/or propagated until the BD is validated. Are you making sure to check for the frequency change after the validation process has completed?

Thanks,

Cory

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor phillips_mf7
Visitor

I have experienced this same issue, using Vivado 2017.4.  Has there been any more progress on this issue?  I have verified that the property CONFG.FREQ_HZ is NOT updated after the BD is validated.  To temporarily solve my problem I added a second user clock port set to the new frequency and discontinued using the first one.

0 Kudos

Hello @phillips_mf7 @jdarchon,

This issue was reported as well in https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Memory-Interfaces/DRC-error-with-MIG-on-Artix-7/m-p/910052/highlight/false#M13394 I filed a Change Request to investigate it further.

The workaround when re-customizing 7-Series MIG in IPI is to "Skip" the window that asks you to "regenerate MIG output products" and then Save the BD, validate the BD, save the BD and then generate the BD output products instead of just the MIG.

Thanks,
Cory

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Visitor phillips_mf7
Visitor

Thanks for the response.  I will give it a try.

0 Kudos