cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbietola
Scholar
Scholar

Multi controller MIG clock topology

Hi, i have 2 DDR3 controllers in one MIG instance.

Every controller puts out a  c*_ui_clk.   Microblaze Data Cache is connected to an axi interconnect and "sees" both controllers. It's clocked by c0_ui_clk.    

Are the accesses to controller 1 still synchronous?   

If i add a VDMA that writes to controller 1, should it be clocked by c1_ui_clk?    If i use c0_ui_clk instead, the interconnect manage the clock conversion?

It's better to clock all the peripherals to only c0_ui_clk (design is easier to implement)?   What about a VDMA that accesses both controllers?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@mrbietola

Even though they are of same frequency(same meory clock and phy to controller ratio)  they are genarted using difefrent MMCMs

We recommend you to use respective ui_clk for the AXI interconnect.

-Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
mrbietola
Scholar
Scholar

Thank you for your reply, but i'm not sure i understand, can you formulate a connection example?

For example 2 VDMAs, each connected to a different controller...

Should i use 2 interconnects, each interconnect clocked by C*_ui_clk (ACLK pin),  each VDMA clocked by C*_ui_clk?

0 Kudos
mrbietola
Scholar
Scholar

If i try to do 2 interconnect and run automation, Vivado still to use C0_ui_clk for both interconnects. If the c*_ui_clk are asynchronous, why Vivado try to connect to an asynch clock?

0 Kudos