cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

New User DDR3 AXI4 Interface Question

Jump to solution

I'm a new Xilinx user but have some experience with Altera.  I'm porting my Altera design that uses a custom state machine to read/write DDR2 memory on an eval board thru their DDR2 controller IP.  I'm trying to figure out how to interface to the Xilinx MIG DDR3 controller IP.  I apparently must use AXI4, but because my custom design connects to it directly I need to know the signals and functional timing.  Altera provided this info for their DDR controller (after a LOT of digging) but I haven't found this info on Xilinx or ARM websites.  Can someone point me to where this detailed info can be found?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: New User DDR3 AXI4 Interface Question

Jump to solution

Yes, that's what I'm looking for.  Thanks pete_128.  I didn't look far enough into UG586 (and didn't expect the user interface to be defined there so didn't look hard enough).  I found a Nov 2015 version of UG586 when I hit the User Manual button in MIG. FYI. I wish the user data width could be specified like Altera allows.  Thanks all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi

The good thing about AXI is it is a standard specification. Its not even Xilinx specific. The formal documentation for it is ARM IHI 0022D.  You may need to register for a free ARM account. After that, you just need to build your IP with consideration to this spec.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the ARM doc number.

I've found out how to have MIG use its native interface, which leads to 2 more questions:

1.  What Xilinx doc specifies the native interface and shows functional timing?

2.  How do I get the MIG to generate the user data width I want (32 bits).  The Arty board has a 16-bit physical interface, but I don't see how to set the user width.  It always generates a 128-bit interface.

Thanks for any info on these questions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@spatterson691

1. Which FPGA device and MIG version are you using?

You can refer PG150(Ultrascale), UG586(7 Series), UG086(Virtex 6) 

Links to all MIG related documents can be accessed from here: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/34243.html

2. MIG  user interface data width is nck_per_clk *memory data width  where nck_per_clk = 4, 2 (depends on the PHY to Controller Clock
ratio chosen in the GUI), other values are not possible

Hope this helps

-Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Vanitha,  

Thanks for the info.  The Arty board uses an Artix-35T FPGA (xc7a35ticsg324-1L) FPGA.  I'm using MIG on Vivado 2015.4. When I hit the MIG Version Info button, it errors out because it "cannot find Acrobat." However, it brings up UG586 just fine when I hit the User Manual.  The UG586 MIG brings up is a 2015 version (says v2.4 on the title page), which is much newer than the 2011 version I was using.  I'll read this newer version and see if any of my questions are answered.

I did not know that the user data width depends on the "Phy to Controller Clock Ratio" (nCK_PER_CLK).  The MIG only allows 4:1 clock ratio in my case, but with a 16-bit physical interface wouldn't that lead to a 64 bit wide user interface, not 128 bits?  I should state that the 128-bit number comes from the stub file MIG creates, which I suppose could be in error(?).  

Anyone know where the native MIG user interface spec/functional description can be found?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@spatterson691

Sorry,  I missed there is a correction here:

MIG user interface data width is nck_per_clk *memory data width * 2(to account for double data rate)

Native interface details can be found in the same UG586

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks.  That explains the data width.  Unfortunate since I want 32 bits, but it is what it is.  I gather that the 4:1 clock ratio is set by the FPGA part itself and the SDRAM clock rate used.  I'll dive deeper into UG586.  

Now I just beed to know how the native interface works!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Im looking at UG586 March 1, 2011, page 95. Figures 1-52 through 1-54 and surrounding text look related. It doesn't introduce the protocol much. Is this what you are looking for?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Yes, that's what I'm looking for.  Thanks pete_128.  I didn't look far enough into UG586 (and didn't expect the user interface to be defined there so didn't look hard enough).  I found a Nov 2015 version of UG586 when I hit the User Manual button in MIG. FYI. I wish the user data width could be specified like Altera allows.  Thanks all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
One more question as I dig into the user interface spec. It looks like burst reads/writes are not supported. Given the controller has FIFOs, I assume you can queue them up, but queuing single transfers is not the same as burst transfers to/from the SDRAM. Does the controller look at the addresses and convert the r/w requests to SDRAM burst operations? If not, the performance will suffer greatly (50% on writes and 75% on reads from my Altera experience). Does this mean that I must use the AXI4 interface to use burst transactions with SDRAM and get the associated performance improvement?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

After some reflection, when the user interface reads/writes 128 bits at a time, that becomes a burst transaction with the SDRAM.  I assume when you read less than a burst you just ignore the extra data, and use the write mask for sub-burst writes.  Maybe that's why the user interface is always so wide (as well as keeping the clock rate slow).  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos