UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

PRBS Read Leveling Error debug

Jump to solution

I'm following the debug guide for checking a new MIG memory controller (Kintex 7 xc7k160tffg676-2).  In UG586, there is Table 1-73 that talks about the Basic ILA Debug Signals.  When I run my hardware and look at these signals in ILA, no errors are reported.

However, if I scan down the list of signals shown in the ILA interface, I see that it is reporting a PRBS Read Leveling Error, since the signal dbg_prbs_rdlvl_compare_err goes high.   Attached is a screen grab showing the status of the PRBS signals as this error signal goes high.  I'm following the debug guide in UG586 (June 8, 2016) on pages 228-273.  Specifically, I'm looking at the section on 'Debugging PRBS Read Leveling Failures'.  In contrast to the other sections on calibration failures, there are no real Debug steps suggested.  Are there some suggested signals that I should check to address this error?  Are there timing constraints I can add to the FPGA build that will help fix this error?

prbs_calibration_failure_signals_all.PNG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PRBS Read Leveling Error debug

Jump to solution

Hello @efpkopin ,

Thanks for your reply.

“init_calib_complet is high” and “tg_compare_error is low” indicate that the MIG IP calibration is successful, so if these signals are like that, your MIG IP works fine.

I checked the “prbs_rdlvl_compare_error”.  “The signal gets high” is as expected.  PRBS read leveling algorithm finds the mismatch by increasing the tap, so “prbs_rdlvl_compare_error” will be high in this case.

Overall, if “init_calib_complet is high” and “tg_compare_error is low”, no issue occur in your design.

Best regards,

kshimizu 

Product Application Engineer Xilinx Technical Support

-------------------------------------------------------

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.  Please Give Kudos.

4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @efpkopin ,

Let me clarify your question.  From your sentence below, does the calibration pass on your board?  Do you want to know how it works at PRBS levering via ILA?

>When I run my hardware and look at these signals in ILA, no errors are reported.

If the calibration passes and you want to know the PRBS, you can use the traffic generator, which you can control via VIO.  Please see the UG586, p.67.

Best regards,

Kshimizu

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.  Please Give Kudos.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@kshimizu, thank you for your response.  So, most of the time, all of the error signals in that 'Basic ILA Debug Signal' table (Table 1-73) are low (this includes the tg_compare_error) *and* init_calib_complete goes high.  But the prbs_rdlvl_compare_err goes high.  So I guess my question is this:

- If init_calib_complete is high and tg_compare_error is low, does that mean that my memory controller is operating correctly on the PCB *even if* the prbs_rdlvl_compare_error (and related) signals are high?

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @efpkopin 

Did you measure eye-pattern with PRBS by oscilloscope and/or make sure eye-pattern with PRBS by SI tool ?

Also, how do you define ODT value ?

It seems eye-pattern issue.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @efpkopin ,

Thanks for your reply.

“init_calib_complet is high” and “tg_compare_error is low” indicate that the MIG IP calibration is successful, so if these signals are like that, your MIG IP works fine.

I checked the “prbs_rdlvl_compare_error”.  “The signal gets high” is as expected.  PRBS read leveling algorithm finds the mismatch by increasing the tap, so “prbs_rdlvl_compare_error” will be high in this case.

Overall, if “init_calib_complet is high” and “tg_compare_error is low”, no issue occur in your design.

Best regards,

kshimizu