UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Provide internal system clock and reference clock through MMCM/PLL for MIG

Jump to solution

I am using an Artix-7 (xc7a35ticsg324-1L) and the MIG IP from the IP catalog.

I understand that the sys_clk_i should be provided from an external source pin from the same bank and there is an option to generate clk_ref_i from MMCM/PLL from within the FPGA.

1. Is there any overide that I can use to generate clk from an MMCM/PLL. I have a Xtal clk coming in from a different bank that i would like to give sys_clk and clk_ref through an MMCM. (I am not worried about Jitter)

2. I used no_buffer while creating the sys_clk and ref_clk while customizing the MIG IP to provide an external clock (defined in the constraints). I get a route_design ERROR stating "The computed value xxxMHz for the VCO operating frequency of MMCME2_ADV falls outside the operating range of the MMCM VCO frequency (600 - 1200 MHz)" I believe there is a MMCM inside the MIG block, what could be causing this issue? How do i overcome this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Provide internal system clock and reference clock through MMCM/PLL for MIG

Jump to solution

Hi ranjan.bangarilokappa@globalfoundries.com 

What is on board clock frequency? Check with attached clocking topology, same can apply to RTL flow.

Also add set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE BACKBONE [get_nets <clock name>].

Regards
Pratap

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

View solution in original post

7series_clock.PNG
3 Replies

Jump to solution

What is on board clock frequency? Check with attached clocking topology, same can apply to RTL flow.

Also add set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE BACKBONE [get_nets <clock name>].

Regards
Pratap

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

View solution in original post

7series_clock.PNG

Jump to solution

The on-board clock is coming from a different bank (bank 14) and my DDR3 connections are in bank 34.

On board clock frequency is 50MHz, using MMCM generating 83.33MHz (sys_clk_i) and 50MHz (ref_clk_i) exactly how you mentioned in the topology. Also used the override.

I get the route_design errors while implementing (DRC error) stating - 

1. MMCM_adv_ClkFrequency_div_no_dclk: The computed value 166.667 MHz (CLKIN1_PERIOD, net pll_clk3) for the VCO operating frequency of the MMCME2_ADV site MMCME2_ADV_X1Y0 falls outside the operating range of the MMCM VCO frequency for this device (600.000 - 1200.000 MHz). The computed value is (CLKFBOUT_MULT_F * 1000 / (CLKINx_PERIOD * DIVCLK_DIVIDE)). Please run update_timing to update the MMCM settings. If that does not work, adjust either the input period CLKINx_PERIOD (24.000000), multiplication factor CLKFBOUT_MULT_F (4.000000) or the division factor DIVCLK_DIVIDE (1), in order to achieve a VCO frequency within the rated operating range for this device.

2. PLL_adv_ClkFrequency_div_no_dclk: The computed value 333.333 MHz (CLKIN1_PERIOD, net clk_out1) for the VCO operating frequency of the PLLE2_ADV site PLLE2_ADV_X1Y0 falls outside the operating range of the PLL VCO frequency for this device (800.000 - 1600.000 MHz). The computed value is (CLKFBOUT_MULT_F * 1000 / (CLKINx_PERIOD * DIVCLK_DIVIDE)). Please adjust either the input period CLKINx_PERIOD (12.000000), multiplication factor CLKFBOUT_MULT_F (4) or the division factor DIVCLK_DIVIDE (1), in order to achieve a VCO frequency within the rated operating range for this device. 

I used the clock wizard to create the MMCM clock, it uses multiplication factor of 23.125 for input clk, divide vale of 13.875 for sys_clk (83.33MHz) and divide value of 23.125 for ref_clk (50MHz)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Generate system clock 100MHz and reference 200MHz from clocking wizard and check the behaviour.

Make sure 100MHz is also configured in IP setting - input clock period (memory option tab in IP GUI).

Regards
Pratap

0 Kudos