Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolf9466
Observer
Observer

Reasoning for the 900Mhz HBM2 clock limit

Jump to solution

I asked on Twitter, "What is the reasoning for the HBM clock limit of 900Mhz on Virtex Ultrascale+? I have some theories, but I'd like to ask directly." - and was advised to ask on this forum. Also a question on my mind - why was it made so difficult to clock it higher?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ryana

Hello @Wolf9466,

Yes, the HBM parts on Virtex UltraScale+ devices are capable of 1000MHz operation but the total solution cannot support those data rates across PVT and Data Sheet.  The expectation here is guaranteeing operation across the limits stated in DS923, across process variation,  while also meeting power rail and reference clock quality guidelines.  In order to meet those reliability guidelines the highest data rate for the HBM interface clock is 900MHz for -3 and -2 speed grade devices and 800MHz for -1 speed grade devices as stated in DS923.  See the screenshot below:
ds923_hbm_operating_rates.jpg

While it may be possible to manually change the PLL settings to get higher data rates there is a real chance across your sample size and operating environments some devices may not be able to maintain those data rates without error.  There is no user way to make these changes since it would violate what is officially supported by the solution and could cause Xilinx to take returns on parts which meet the Data Sheet operational expectations but fall out in your use case. It's also a support issue since allowing users to go beyond the supported use case could mean product fallout for your end customers, cause costly RMAs, and an overall bad impression of Xilinx products.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

how fast would you like HBM to go ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Wolf9466
Observer
Observer

Since I'm pretty sure the Ultrascale+ HBM parts are packing Samsung Aquabolt HBM2, a minimum of 1000Mhz, and possibly up to 1200Mhz (depending on the specific part/binning) at 1.2V.

However... another solution would just be to allow the user to decide the PLL parameters?

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

so I would suggest that the reason could be Xilinx selected the speed of the parts chosen to fit in with, the voltage they run at, the speed of the drivers / interconnect, the power dissipated and the speed of the logic used to drive them.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Wolf9466
Observer
Observer

Having used these in practice at 1100Mhz+ (and not just me)... I find this scenario a bit less likely, which is why I'm asking.

0 Kudos
kshimizu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @Wolf9466 ,

I think this is the specification.  I see the PG276, and it describes the frequency until 900MHz.  Xilinx evaluates the Max Frequency, so please we recommend using until 900MHz. 

Best regards,

Kshimizu

Product Application Engineer Xilinx Technical Support

-------------------------------------------------------

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.  Please Give Kudos.

-------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Wolf9466
Observer
Observer

In the Product Guide, yes. However, the actual HBM2 used in the Virtex Ultrascale HBM series is (correct me if I am wrong) Samsung Aquabolt, and it is specified for a higher frequency.

My question is, why is it underclocked? Also, why is it forced this way?

0 Kudos
ryana

Hello @Wolf9466,

Yes, the HBM parts on Virtex UltraScale+ devices are capable of 1000MHz operation but the total solution cannot support those data rates across PVT and Data Sheet.  The expectation here is guaranteeing operation across the limits stated in DS923, across process variation,  while also meeting power rail and reference clock quality guidelines.  In order to meet those reliability guidelines the highest data rate for the HBM interface clock is 900MHz for -3 and -2 speed grade devices and 800MHz for -1 speed grade devices as stated in DS923.  See the screenshot below:
ds923_hbm_operating_rates.jpg

While it may be possible to manually change the PLL settings to get higher data rates there is a real chance across your sample size and operating environments some devices may not be able to maintain those data rates without error.  There is no user way to make these changes since it would violate what is officially supported by the solution and could cause Xilinx to take returns on parts which meet the Data Sheet operational expectations but fall out in your use case. It's also a support issue since allowing users to go beyond the supported use case could mean product fallout for your end customers, cause costly RMAs, and an overall bad impression of Xilinx products.

View solution in original post

Wolf9466
Observer
Observer

This is... a remarkably good answer. Thank you. I suppose that's the same reason why the APB registers are not publicly documented?

0 Kudos
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It is also possible that the limit here isn't the HBM2 itself but rather the Xilinx implementation of the HBM controller in the VU3xP/VU4xP - flanking the HBM across the SLR. It has to be guaranteed to work across PVT for the associated speed grade.

0 Kudos
ryana

Hello @Wolf9466 ,

Yes, that's correct.  The register settings are automatically generated for the supported use cases. Exposing the register space details could lead to users generating their own settings and ending up in unsupported corners or potentially damaging parts because they felt confident, based on the information they had, they could push the parts past the stated limits.

0 Kudos
Wolf9466
Observer
Observer

Understandable. I've got *most* of them figured out by now - but I think that poses enough of a barrier to entry that it won't cause issues for Xilinx. Again, thank you very much for your explanation!

0 Kudos
ryana

Hello @Wolf9466 ,

Sure thing, glad I could put some closure to this.

Yes, I can imagine how much of a pain it was to go through that process but sometimes that's the approach to keep people within the supported use cases.

0 Kudos