cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaisrmaulo5

So I have a question concerning memory interface width.

When is the memory interface width of a GPU important? What exactly is it? How is it related to the memory bandwidth of a GPU? I'm asking because I've actually never thought about this when buying a GPU.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
calibra
Scholar
Scholar

memory bandwidth  = Frequency * memory interface width

Fundamental when the operation number is similar to the number of data used.
Example vector multiplication.
Less important as the number of operations is much higher than the number of data used.
Example matrix multiplication.

== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==
0 Kudos
kshimizu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @calibra ,

The Maximum frequency is depend on the FPGA device and DDR memory, so please check with AC-DC characteristic datasheet.

The Bandwidth is changed by the addressing since UltaScale Memory controller use the Group FSM to access efficiency.  Table 2-1 shows some patterns.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/ultrascale_memory_ip/v1_4/pg150-ultrascale-memory-ip.pdf

An example design create a simulation model, so please try to evaluate the bandwidth based on your addressing.

Best regards,

Kshimizu

Product Application Engineer Xilinx Technical Support

-------------------------------------------------------

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.  Please Give Kudos.

-------------------------------------------------------

DS.PNG
2-1.PNG
0 Kudos
calibra
Scholar
Scholar

@kshimizu 

I do not understand your answer, I have only answered a generic question about the bandwidth on GPU.

== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==
0 Kudos