cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant
Participant

Spartan 7 MIG support for LPDDR devices

Hi

Does Spartan 7 (XC7S6-1CPGA196I ) has MIG support for LPDDR3/LPDDR2 memory?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

@bivin

LPDDR2 is supported, but it does not seem to support LPDDR3.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @bivin,

Spartan-7(XC7s6-1CPGA196I) has MIG Support for LPDDR2 memory.

For more infromation please follow UG586.

LPDDR.PNG

Regards,

Naveen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pleasde Reply or Give Kudos or Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Participant
Participant

Hi

I'm using MIG 4.1, in that LPDDR2 option is not there while selecting controller type, please clarify. 

Also in latest vivado there is voltage standard of mobile_ddr, is there any guidelines for device selection for the same. 

0 Kudos

Hello @bivin,

In order to select the LPDDR2 interface option for the 7-Series MIG you cannot use the AXI interface option.  If the AXI interface is enabled on the first page of the MIG configuration GUI then you will not be able to select the LPDDR2 option on the Memory Selection page.

Also for checking device capabilities like external memory interface support you should always check with the device data sheet.  In this case reference DS189 for Spartan-7 devices and you'll see the MIG memory support table which also states the maximum data rate depending on your device speed grade, voltage, and if there are any package limitations:

spartan_7_memory.PNG

Here's a link to the latest version of DS189:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds189-spartan-7-data-sheet.pdf

Participant
Participant

Hi

I'm not using AXI interface option, also this option is inactive (not able to select). Even if it is not selected the LPDDR option is not appearing in controller type selection page. Please suggest a solution.

0 Kudos

Hello @bivin,

Using Vivado 2018.2, targeting the Spartan-7 device you specified, and using Verilog as the project's Target Language I'm able to select the LPDDR2 controller option:
vivado_default_s7_lpddr2.PNG

If you have the Project's Target Language set to VHDL then you won't have the ability to select the LPDDR2 controller.

0 Kudos
Participant
Participant

I'm using Vhdl as the project's Target Language, so how can i implement the same? Why Project language difference results in an option to disappear ?

0 Kudos

Hello @bivin,

It was a marketing decision to only generate the LPDDR2 IP as Verilog but Vivado does support mixed language designs.  You need to instantiate the IP as VHDL in the top level of the design along with the port assignments but the IP itself can remain Verilog.

0 Kudos
Participant
Participant

Hi @ryana

You mentioned "You need to instantiate the IP as VHDL in the top level of the design along with the port assignments but the IP itself can remain Verilog.". How the same can be done, since i'm using target language as VHDL and simulation language as MIXED , i'm still not able to see LPDDR2 option in vivado.

0 Kudos

Hello @bivin,

Generate the IP with Vivado set to Verilog and package it.  Then import the packaged IP in to your VHDL project.

0 Kudos