Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer
Observer

ZCU104 SODIMM Memory Limitations

Jump to solution
Hi,

I want to include large DDR RAM (~32GB) on Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC ZCU104 SODIMM expansion. I am wondering about the limitation of the size of the RAM, which I can include in this slot. If it is not possible, I would like to know the alternatives that I have (Another Evaluation Kit, Designing a PCB on my own) to have a large DDR memory in a system.
Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @sasindugeemal,

The controller can generate any JEDEC compliant topology, and these topologies are defined through the DDR4 Raw Card committee. You will also have to create a custom part definition through the CSV flow which is discussed in AR#63462. The CSV limitations follow the JEDEC guidelines for anything that has actually seen production so this controller can pretty much support any standard DDR4 configuration.

If you want a standard SODIMM, you'll need to use something based on the latest 16Gbit monolithic die from Samsung and Micron. This will have to be a dual rank SODIMM since the max for a single rank is 16GB and the dual rank would be 32GB. When you go from a component interface to a SODIMM, and then a dual bank SODIMM, the max interface rate of the controller will drop to 2133Mbps as seen in table 74 on page 51 from DS925.

This board has a standard SODIMM socket which has provisions for any JEDEC defined SODIMM configuration and our IP can talk to any standard SODIMM configuration, you just need to configure the IP to do it. 

There are example CSV files attached in the AR provided above which should help in setting it up.

Sincerely,

Courtney

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don’t forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as a solution if you found this helpful!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @sasindugeemal,

The controller can generate any JEDEC compliant topology, and these topologies are defined through the DDR4 Raw Card committee. You will also have to create a custom part definition through the CSV flow which is discussed in AR#63462. The CSV limitations follow the JEDEC guidelines for anything that has actually seen production so this controller can pretty much support any standard DDR4 configuration.

If you want a standard SODIMM, you'll need to use something based on the latest 16Gbit monolithic die from Samsung and Micron. This will have to be a dual rank SODIMM since the max for a single rank is 16GB and the dual rank would be 32GB. When you go from a component interface to a SODIMM, and then a dual bank SODIMM, the max interface rate of the controller will drop to 2133Mbps as seen in table 74 on page 51 from DS925.

This board has a standard SODIMM socket which has provisions for any JEDEC defined SODIMM configuration and our IP can talk to any standard SODIMM configuration, you just need to configure the IP to do it. 

There are example CSV files attached in the AR provided above which should help in setting it up.

Sincerely,

Courtney

Please don’t forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as a solution if you found this helpful!

View solution in original post

Observer
Observer

Thank you so much. It helped me a lot

0 Kudos