cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nico16031981
Visitor
Visitor

ZedBoard & MIG: Is it possible to use the RAM of the PS directly from PL?

Hello,

my question is, if it is possible to directly use the SDRAM from zedboard in the PL, simple read and write? Is that done via MIG?

I started reading this: Zync 700 SoC and 7 Series Device Memory Interface solutions v4.2 UG586 December 5, 2018

But as it has 680 pages it would be good to know if it is possible or not... ;)

Is its still possible then to use the PS? Do the PL and PS share the memory then?

And is the a tutorial or documentation or example for that?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Nico

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@nico16031981,

In order to use the on-board RAM one must use the MIG core.

From the PL you can always go over the AXI bus to connect stuff inside the PL.

As a minimum read please go through the Zedboard and MIG docu.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem
Asking for solutions to problems via PM will be ignored.

0 Kudos
nico16031981
Visitor
Visitor

ok, i got it... the mic core should be connected tvia AXI to other IP in the PL and read and write commands should go over this AXI connection to the RAM

but still there is the question, if the PS can still run as "usual", just with an area in the ram that is used by the PL?

0 Kudos
josephsamson
Voyager
Voyager

It's been a while since I used the Zedboard, but the DRAM is connected to the dedicated pins of the Zynq; it is not possible to use the MIG instead. To connect to the DRAM, enable an AXI high performance slave interface in the Zynq. 

---

Joe Samson

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@nico16031981,

but still there is the question, if the PS can still run as "usual", just with an area in the ram that is used by the PL?

In my opinion, why not?

Have a region of the DDR reserved for PL use and another region for the PS and ensure that these spaces are not crossed.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem
Asking for solutions to problems via PM will be ignored.

0 Kudos