Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sf
Visitor
Visitor

should be high impedance on signal but showing 1 in ILA

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am working on a sd card protocol and I have some tri-state signals for it like sd_cmd and sd_data.

so the design is like: 

module top ( inout sd_cmd, ...)

assign sd_cmd = sd_cmd_oe ? sd_cmd_o : 1'bz;

so the sd_cmd signal is sd_cmd_o when the enable signal 'sd_cmd_oe' is high. sd_cmd is 1'bz when sd_cmd_oe is low.

It works fine in simulation but when testing on board, ILA ( integrated logic analzyer) shows sd_cmd signal's input buffer is 1 when sd_cmd_oe is low.

I am wondering if there is a way to have 1'bz value on the signal or value 1 is just what it is in this case.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

An ILA is nothing more than some BRAM, address counters and trigger logic.  It sits inside the FPGA and only sees core logic levels.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

There are no high impedance signals inside the FPGA, only on the pins.

sf
Visitor
Visitor

yeah I know what you mean. I am wondering though if I can use ILA to get the pin value, it seems to me ILA only gives input buffer value of the port so I am not able to see the 1'bz on the pin.

0 Kudos
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

An ILA is nothing more than some BRAM, address counters and trigger logic.  It sits inside the FPGA and only sees core logic levels.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@sf ,

You can probe nothing more than 0s or 1s with ILAs. It is due to their placements. The tri-state buffers are sitting at the FPAG peripherals, whereas the ILA being  part of the logic elements sits inside.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

0 Kudos