UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDR4 Component Data Width limited to 8/16 bit in Zynq ultrascale+MpSoC

Hi, 

Can any one explain.. In Zynq ultrascale+MpSoc (PS) side it has DDR4 72bit interface. 64+8(ECC), 

My doubt is can we connect Single 64bit DRAM Component, to this DDR4 interface. (in vivado componet width shows 8/16 bit selection)

what makes difference if I connect x8,x16,x32,x64 devices.

If i get x64bit single DDR4 componet in the market, can i connect to the zynq.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: DDR4 Component Data Width limited to 8/16 bit in Zynq ultrascale+MpSoC

Hi,

To be clear

Zynq Ultrascale+ MPSoC

1.Are you saying DIMM as single x64 bit component?

DIMM is a single PCB with multiple DRAM modules/components. 64 bit DIMM can be either composed of 8 - x8 components or 4 - x16 components.

If it’s a DIMM, then you need to choose Components option in wizard as UDIMM or RDIMM based on your physical memory component.

Then you need to select the DRAM IC Bus Width ( data width of individual DRAM components on DIMM) option in wizard as 8 bit or 16 bit 

2.If you choose components, then you can use either

8-x8 components [which means each component width is 8 bit]

4 x16 components [which means each component width is 16 bit].

In the below figure of PS DDR Controller,

The ‘effective DRAM Bus width’ option is a total data width of DDR interface - 64 bit.

Based on your memory component, the DRAM IC Bus Width varies either 8 bit or 16 bit.

FDIMM1.png

Please have a look at the page 422 of UG1085.

FDIMM2.png

Thank you

Kind Regards,

Kasthuri

Re: DDR4 Component Data Width limited to 8/16 bit in Zynq ultrascale+MpSoC

Hi Kasthuri,
Zynq has 64bit effective bus width . If we have any component with 64bit DDR4 device ,why the there is no option to select the this 64bit component in vivado ( 1x64bit),(2x32bit).
I feel there should be some clarity , why the devices are limited to 8,16 bit DDR4 support only in zynq ultrascale+MpSoC
0 Kudos