UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor sabquat
Visitor

DDR4 interface

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a Xilinx ML605 board and was able to interface DDR3 SODIMM with it. Usually, I perform various kind of DRAM test (exploring timing characteristics, the effect of small temperature/voltage variation, etc.). Is it possible to interface DDR4 memory with this board for the same purpose? If the answer is yes, How can I do so?

If the answer is no, then I want to buy Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC ZCU104 Evaluation Kit. But I am not sure if this board is suitable for my purpose or not. I have few questions regarding this board:

1. I can use any 260pin DDR4 SODIMM (below 4GB, single rank) for the testing purpose, right?

2. For ML605, I have used this EVM from Texas Instruments to control the voltage of a specific power rail. Is there any similar EVM module for the above ZCU104 board?

3. I want to increase the temperature of the DDR4 socket to 60°C. Is it okay? (I will use a heat gun that will mainly focus the DDR4 socket, the temperature of the surroundings will be increased only by a little margin)

If the ZCU104 is not suitable for the above task, then could you please suggest me an inexpensive suitable board?

Regards,

Sabquat

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: DDR4 interface

Jump to solution

Hello @sabquat,

It's 100% not possible to interface DDR4 on the ML605 and you'll have to use something in the UltraScale/UltraScale+ family in order to get DDR4. 

The ZCU104 is a good candidate for what you need since it's the only low price point board that has a SODIMM socket on the PL side. 

I can't comment if it will work with all 260-pin SODIMMs but it will work with with the parts that are natively supported in Vivado and overall it's a standard 260-pin socket with a standard DDR4 interface so it will support a wide variety of devices. 

For the voltage controls I would look at the ZCU104 System Controller GUI Tutorial:

https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/design-license.html?cid=ed96d9da-1186-4c27-8340-5cd35649904c&filename=xtp502-zcu104-system-controller-c-2017-4.pdf

The board environmental spec is 0C to 45C so at that point you're operating beyond what's specified in the board documentation. The DRAM is capable of higher temperatures but I can't speak to any of the adjacent components that will get hot.

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello @sabquat,

It's 100% not possible to interface DDR4 on the ML605 and you'll have to use something in the UltraScale/UltraScale+ family in order to get DDR4. 

The ZCU104 is a good candidate for what you need since it's the only low price point board that has a SODIMM socket on the PL side. 

I can't comment if it will work with all 260-pin SODIMMs but it will work with with the parts that are natively supported in Vivado and overall it's a standard 260-pin socket with a standard DDR4 interface so it will support a wide variety of devices. 

For the voltage controls I would look at the ZCU104 System Controller GUI Tutorial:

https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/design-license.html?cid=ed96d9da-1186-4c27-8340-5cd35649904c&filename=xtp502-zcu104-system-controller-c-2017-4.pdf

The board environmental spec is 0C to 45C so at that point you're operating beyond what's specified in the board documentation. The DRAM is capable of higher temperatures but I can't speak to any of the adjacent components that will get hot.

Visitor sabquat
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot. This is much helpful :)

Regards,

Sabquat

0 Kudos
Visitor sabquat
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello @ryana,

I have recently purchased one Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC ZCU104 Evaluation Kit as per your suggestion. For my purpose, I want to buy some DDR4 memory modules. From, the user manual, the Micron MTA8ATF51264HZ-2G6B1 memory module is suggested for the PL-side SODIMM socket which is currently not available in the market. Unfortunately, I also did not find any available memory module that is closely matched with the suggested memory module. Could you please recommend some non-ECC DDR4 SODIMMs that will perfectly work for my purpose with the ZCU104 and also currently available in the market?

Regards,

Sabquat

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @sabquat,

The PS and PL memory controllers are extremely flexible with their supported memory types.  If you can't find an exact match to a SODIMM that's natively supported by the PL IP then you can use the custom CSV flow to generate the timing requirements for the parts and feed it to the IP.  AR#63462 talks about this process:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63462.html

As for memory support anything JEDEC compliant will work but I would stick with Micron, Samsung, or Hynix and use a part where you can get the information that's required for the IP.  This means the SODIMM data sheet that goes over the memory topology and then the device specific data sheet so you can get the memory timing requirements.

0 Kudos