UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

MIG DDR3 Memory Addressing confusion for Virtex 6 on ML605 kit

Jump to solution

I have to implement a DDR3 SDRAM SODIMM interfaced with Virtex 6 on ML605 kit. The DRAM device is MT4JSF6464H – 512MB. It is single rank.

The app_addr width is 27 which is composed of 1(Rank) + 3(Bank) + 13(Row) + 10(Column). So, it is single rank with 8 Banks, each bank having 8192 Rows, eack Row having 1024 Columns, each Column having 64 bits. Since it has x16 configuration, that means it has 4 components each having 16 bits.

So the total memory, 512 MegaBytes is formed by 1(Rank) x 8(Bank) x 8192(Row) x 1024(Column) x 64 bits = 4096 MegaBits. By converting to MegaBytes, 4096Mb/8 = 512 MB(MegaBytes).

Is my understanding of the memory addressing correct, specifically in that each Column has 64 bit storage capacity?

I was looking at this question where the user Bob Elkind answers the question stating that, if the data port width is 64 bits & for a burst length of 8, to perform continuous read/ write burts, one must increment app_addr by 'd64('h40) & not 'd8('h8) as I assumed. I am confused by this. If I start writing data in Bank 0, Row 0 & starting from Column 0, with burst lenght 8 & data port width 64, each 64 bit data will be stored in Columns 0 - 7 since each Column can store 64. Then for the next burst I have to give app_addr = 'h8 & not 'h40.

The simulation of the example design of MIG writes 64 bit data in Columns 0-7 then Columns 40-47, 80-87 & so on. Why is nothing written in Columns 08-3F?

Are my assumptions in the first paragraph wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: MIG DDR3 Memory Addressing confusion for Virtex 6 on ML605 kit

Jump to solution

Hi,

1.Your understanding of the addressing concept(row, bank and cloumn) is correct

The link you pointed is started with ML605 but I see UG388 which is actually applicable for Spartan6 and the addressing concepts are a bit different

If you are using 64bit DIMM, Burst Length = 8 , UI_Data_Width = 256, then one UI command and 2 UI app data words constitute one memory burst length.

Please refer UG406 Chapter -1 -> Interfacing with core ->User Interface -> Memory Address Mapping for Bank-Row-Column Mode in the UI Module and  Memory Address Mapping for Row-Bank-Column Mode in the UI Module tables for more detials

For sequential access you can tie app_addr[2:0] = 000 and increment app_addr[27:3] by one.

For random access as you know the mapping you can assign any coulmn or row value that you like.

2. Simulation of example design address will be based on CMD_PATTERN set in sim_tb_top or appropriate top level file.

You can refer UG406 Traffic Generator Parameters for more details

Hope this helps

-Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: MIG DDR3 Memory Addressing confusion for Virtex 6 on ML605 kit

Jump to solution

Hi,

1.Your understanding of the addressing concept(row, bank and cloumn) is correct

The link you pointed is started with ML605 but I see UG388 which is actually applicable for Spartan6 and the addressing concepts are a bit different

If you are using 64bit DIMM, Burst Length = 8 , UI_Data_Width = 256, then one UI command and 2 UI app data words constitute one memory burst length.

Please refer UG406 Chapter -1 -> Interfacing with core ->User Interface -> Memory Address Mapping for Bank-Row-Column Mode in the UI Module and  Memory Address Mapping for Row-Bank-Column Mode in the UI Module tables for more detials

For sequential access you can tie app_addr[2:0] = 000 and increment app_addr[27:3] by one.

For random access as you know the mapping you can assign any coulmn or row value that you like.

2. Simulation of example design address will be based on CMD_PATTERN set in sim_tb_top or appropriate top level file.

You can refer UG406 Traffic Generator Parameters for more details

Hope this helps

-Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented