UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Slower controller interfacing to high-speed DDR3

Adventurer

Slower controller interfacing to high-speed DDR3

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am planning to use Micron DDR3 SDRAM device: MT41K1G8SN-125 in my next board. The board will have Virtex-6 FPGA. In the data sheet of this device, I am seeing that its data rate is 1600 MT/s (clock = 800 MHz).

When I am using MIG, I see that the only base part which comes close to this device is MT41J1G4THU-15E. I want to know whether this is the correct base part, especially since the device I have selected is 1GX8, while the base part is 1GX4. What can I do to match the controller with my device correctly. 

I also see that the only speed supported by MIG for this base part is 303.03 MHz. I want to know whether the DDR3 device can be operated at such low speeds. The datasheet of the device only provides timing information up to 400 MHz.

regards,

rajesh

Re: Slower controller interfacing to high-speed DDR3

Hi @atrajesh

As discussed in the SR, the period is greyed out in MIG as it is auto-propagated in EDK environment.

Also number of data bits per strobe for MT41J1G4THU-15E is 4 however in your memory device its 8 data bits per strobe. You need to choose a part which has 8 bits per strobe and increase its density by increasing number of address bits.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
Highlighted
Visitor

Re: Slower controller interfacing to high-speed DDR3

Hi @atrajesh

I want to use exactly the same micron chip in my design (MT41K1G8SN-125) . But the part that seems to be the closest is the MT41K1G8TRF-125. But it's a twindie with two chipselect, that does not match with MT41K1G8SN-125.

Wich part you finally selected atrajesh ?

Thanks