UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

System Clock, PLL Location, and Constraints

Jump to solution

Hello!

UG586, pp 136:

"The PLL is required to be in the bank that supplies the clock to the memory to meet the specified interface performance. The system clock input is also strongly recommended to be in this bank. The MIG tool follows these two rules whenever possible. The exception is a 16-bit interface in a single bank where there might not be pins available for the clock input. In this case, the clock input needs to come from an adjacent (???) bank through the frequency backbone to the PLL. The system clock input to the PLL must come from clock capable I/O."

Why should clock input to be driven from adjacent bank only ? What does it give in comparison with input clock driving from not adjacent bank, but in the same column ?

Regards,

Sergey

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: System Clock, PLL Location, and Constraints

Jump to solution

I would say that sysclock  must come from CCIO only, whether it is same bank or another bank in the same column.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

I expect this is to meet timing,  adjacent banks  minimize skew added across banks.

If your requirement is X16 please refer below link for more details

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/41752.htm

Regards,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank you!

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/40603.htm

"The clock input (sys_clk) can now be input on any CCIO in the column where the memory interface is located; this includes CCIO in banks that do not contain the memory interface, but must be in the same column as the memory interface. The PLL must be located in the bank containing the clock sent to the memory. To route the input clock to the memory interface PLL, the CMT backbone must be used. With the MIG implementation, one spare interconnect on the backbone is available that can be used for this purpose."

i.e. CCIO must be in the same column. There is not requirement that CCIO must be in the adjacent bank. Is it correct?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

As far as MIG is concerned  sysclock  must come from CCIO only , whether it is same bank or adjacent.bank in the same column.

Regards,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I would say that sysclock  must come from CCIO only, whether it is same bank or another bank in the same column.

0 Kudos