UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Terminations with Artix-7 and SO-DIMM DDR3

Jump to solution

I want to connect a DDR3 SODIMM to an Artix-7. In the AC701 schematic, there are terminations but not fitted. From what I read, I can/should use the internal terminations on the FPGA. I wonder then why they are there... maybe a question that solves no problem, so I will limit my question to:

Can I use a DDR3 SODIMM module with an Artix-7 (clock 400 MHz) with no external terminations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Terminations with Artix-7 and SO-DIMM DDR3

Jump to solution

The AC701 was designed over 5 years ago. The placement of the terminations on that board may have been a simple CYA move. [Consider Your Alternatives. ;-)] There might have been a risk that the internal FPGA terminations weren't adequate.

The current Zynq-7000 SoC and 7 Series Devices Memory Interface Solutions User Guide (UG 586) does not call for external DQ terminations in a DIMM-based DDR interface. Coupled with the fact that the terminations are de-popped on the board you have, I'd say it's safe to eliminate them from a new A7 DDR3 SO-DIMM design.

-Joe G.

3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

The AC701 was designed over 5 years ago. The placement of the terminations on that board may have been a simple CYA move. [Consider Your Alternatives. ;-)] There might have been a risk that the internal FPGA terminations weren't adequate.

The current Zynq-7000 SoC and 7 Series Devices Memory Interface Solutions User Guide (UG 586) does not call for external DQ terminations in a DIMM-based DDR interface. Coupled with the fact that the terminations are de-popped on the board you have, I'd say it's safe to eliminate them from a new A7 DDR3 SO-DIMM design.

-Joe G.

Jump to solution

Hello @johnvivm,

The recommendation is to follow the DDR3 SDRAM Design Guidelines starting on page 192 of UG586.  My signature has a link to the latest version. Here the guidance is to use ODT when writing to the memory, use DCI for the FPGA in HP banks, and to use the IN_TERM option for the FPGA in HR banks. We also recommend to run simulations on the interface to verify your layout and MIG settings. 
ug586_1.PNGug586_2.PNGug586_3.PNG

If you take a look at other 7-Series boards like the VC707, VC709, and the KC705 which all have SODIMMs none of them have termination resistors installed on the DQ bus.

Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Naturally, since A7's don't have HP banks, you'll be relying on IN_TERM terminations for all of your bidirectional DQ/DQS signals. (The MIG should take care of that for you.)

And be sure to use a tracking regulator to generate your Vref and Vtt voltages--like the one used on the AC701.

-Joe G.