UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant kmwilliams
Participant

Two 32-bit MIGs to implement one LPDDR2 64-bit interface on Artix-7

I need to implement a 64-bit LPDDR2 600 MHz DDR (300 MHZ clock) memory interface on an Artix-7 200 FPGA.  The Memory Interface Generator will only support up to a 32 bit interface when using LPDDR2.  This means I will have to use two separate MIGs implemented the same but with different pin/bank targets. I know it is recommended that the reference clock (in my implementation reference/sys_clk are the same) should be on a clock pin in the Address/Ctrl bank.  Well there are two MIGs in this implementation.  If I have separate clock pin p/n pairs for the two MIGs, there won't be any guarantee that the two MIGs would operate synchronously.  The two MIGs will generate also generate two separate user clocks. How do I generate/use the variousl clocks and insure the two MIGs will operate synchronously?  Is this possible? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Two 32-bit MIGs to implement one LPDDR2 64-bit interface on Artix-7

Hello @kmwilliams,

In these situations if you can fit both 32-bit interfaces in he same I/O column in the FPGA then you can share a common system clock as described in in the "Sharing sys_clk between Controllers" section starting on page 212 og UG586. A link is in my signature. Overall there is no way to guarantee that both controllers will work synchronously.  I've seen customers design their own logic that would present a single app_interface at the top level which then drives the app_interfaces for the two controllers beneath it plus keeps them synchronized at the top level.

0 Kudos
Participant kmwilliams
Participant

ryana,

Is there a limitation in the FPGA or MIG that would prevent expanding a 32-bit LPDDR2 MIG to a 64-bit MIG such that a single usr_clk is generated similar to what can be done with a DDR3?  Is the reason an 64-bit LPDDR2 is not supported in the MIG tool because of a technical limitation or just merely the fact that this was never implemented in the the MIG tool?

Kerry

0 Kudos

Hello @kmwilliams,
The LPDDR2 IP was only created to support up to a 32-bit interface since the target applications were single component point-to-point interfaces and x16 or x32 were the common component widths at the time. 

0 Kudos