UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

UltraScale-DDR4 Data error

Hi all,

I am facing some data error when using UltraScale-DDR4. Could anyone give some valuable points about the problem. I shall list my observations.

Setup

Vivado 2017.1, UltraSclae, DDR4, Custom memory part, Bandwidth 2000 MT, Example design with ATG and VIO.

Calibration is success. There is no negative slack in design.

Observation during test.

1 If Number of transfer is less than 63536, test always passes if address mode is linear
(irrespective of start address).
2 If Number of transfer is more than 63536, test always fails.
3 If Address mode is PRBS, test always fails.
4 Always upper 128 bits of 'c0_ddr4_app_rd_data' are failing. (  D(511:448) & D(447:384)  ).
5 When data pattern is changed, the immediate next test always fails. (for Transfers > 63536).
The point of first error indicate previously written pattern as read data.
6 If linear, walking 1s and walking 0s data patterns are repeated , it becomes success after few trials.
 (provided address mode is linear)
7 PRBS data pattern always fails if repeated any number of trials (for Transfers > 63536)
8 Most time, Failing Address is in higher range ( greater than 0x1_0000)

In addition, All test passes if I generate the IP with 1600 MT.

Regards

Anoop

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: UltraScale-DDR4 Data error

a,

What board, what device?  Is this PS DDR4 (Zynq MPSoC), or a MIG design in programmable logic?

I am assuming MIG in PL due to which board you chose to post, but I still would like to know the board/device.  Is it your own design/layout?  Which signal integrity tool did you use to validate the SI? (if it is your own board)

Have you observed the data eye pattern on a 'scope?  Is it fully open? (as it should be)

What is your clock source?  How much jitter does it have?  What is the worst case slack in your timing report?  What is your system jitter?  Are the clock and system jitter values set properly in Vivado?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@austin,

Thanks for your reply and interest to help in this problem.

Device is xcku040-ffva1156-1-i  (not any MPSoC based). The board is a custom one. SI & total system jitter calculation and data eye pattern capture has not been done yet  as it is newly arrived. I am just trying to find the maximum rate at which DDR4  can be accessed. If I get new information, I shall provide it. 

Only below information  are with me now.

Clock to the system(MIG) is a differential 200 MHz clock generated from a Low-Jitter Clock Generator on board. It's data sheet showing 0.73 as the RMS phase jitter at test condition 625 MHz (10 kHz to 20 MHz).

I have not given any input jitter or system jitter constraints. Vivado report 0.071 ns as total system jitter and 0.032 ns as worst negative slack.

Should I  give total system jitter and input jitter constraints? How can I find them?

Regards

Anoop

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Yes,

The input clock jitter in p-p, would be 14 times your RMS value.  For system jitter, I would use the default for now (100ps p-p).  In future, you need to measure it on a forwarded clock IO pin from the BUFG.  Numbers like 300 ps p-p are not unusual if the device is doing a lot of switching.  It can be worse if the power integrity engineering is poor (inadequate decoupling, poor layout -- did not follow pcb layout guidelines).

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug583-ultrascale-pcb-design.pdf

"maximum rate' tells you little about signal integrity (it is the edge rates, not the frequency), so I encourage you to first verify the SI against your pcb original SI simulations you did with your SI CAD tool before fabricating the board.

(And, if you did no SI CAD work, then it is more than likely your board will never work.  The cost of the SI CAD tool license pays for itself with one board spin that wasn't needed.  Designed wrong, nothing will fix broken SI.)

https://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/signal-integrity.html

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Explorer
Explorer

@austin,

I gave input jitter as 0.01 ns (0.73 x 14) and system jitter as 0.2 (200 ps). But the problem still exist. 

Are the values I gave correct? or do I need to try any other values?

Is there anything left which I can try in vivado implementation scope to rectify/isolate this problem?  

(because PCB related and SI related validation are not in my scope. I need to pass this info to another team)

Regards

Anoop 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar austin
Scholar

It is unlikely the jitter is ever lower than 20 ps P-P,

I did not mention that, but there is a floor in large CMOS parts like ours, and no matter how good the source, by the time it gets into the part, it is not going to be as good as 10ps.  Anyway, your numbers are OK for the tools.  What is the slack reported?

Have you looked at the system jitter as I suggested? That will reveal if you have too much jitter causing data errors.  Otherwise, it is not a timing miss due to jitter that is your problem.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This error behavior sound like Address SI issue.
How does the calibration margin result look like?

If calibration complex data pattern margin is sufficient 30% UI or so, please check your address SI at the memory part corresponding to the error data.

Often, SI impact is under the memory part, address/ctrl can impact by cross talk. GND stiching technique intorduced in PCB guide, need followed for 2000Mt to work reliably.

Other ways to validate possible SI issue is to test at lower rate, 1866 or 1600Mt.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@takashis,

Thanks for the reply. 

I understand that SI plays an important role here. But it will take some time to do.

I can share you some more information.

1. Please find attached margins for write and read with complex pattern(at 2000MT).

2. At 1800MT, Test failed.

3. At 1600MT, Test passed ( long run test with PRBS data covering all address space).

4. At 2000MT, long run test passed with PRBS data if transfer size is less than 65,536 irrespective of start address.

5. Only upper 128 bits of 512-bit app_data fails. Accumulated error becomes all F's after few comparison.

Please provide some information if you get any additional points with these observation.

Regards

Anoop

0 Kudos