UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

10G Ethernet MAC missing MDIO port

Jump to solution

I wish to connect the 10G Ethernet Subsystem (configured as a 64-bit MAC only) to the Xilinx XAUI PHY.   The UG128 diagram "Interfacing to the Xilinx XAUI Core" shows a MDIO bus between the 10G MAC and XAUI PHY, but on the 2017.4 release of the 10G MAC there is no MDIO port.   How does the 10G MAC communicate with the XAUI PHY to know the ethernet link is aligned?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: 10G Ethernet MAC missing MDIO port

Jump to solution

Yes, I have the AXI4 Lite interface enabled, but there is no xgmii_mdio interface.

I submitted a Service request and received this response:

The legacy 10G Ethernet MAC had an MDIO controller that could interface to the XAUI core, but it is not supported in UltraScale+ and future families.

The 10G/25G Ethernet Subsystem does not have an MDIO controller to connect to the XAUI core. User has to use the XAUI core in configuration/status vector mode when interfacing to the 10G/25G Ethernet subsystem.  The XAUI core does send local fault over XGMII data to the MAC when the link is down and user can read the local fault status from the MAC AXI local fault register if user are looking to be able to read link status over the AXI lite register interface.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @kinkeads,

Did you enable AXI4 Lite interface with the core? You should see xgmii_mdio interface after this is selected.

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Yes, I have the AXI4 Lite interface enabled, but there is no xgmii_mdio interface.

I submitted a Service request and received this response:

The legacy 10G Ethernet MAC had an MDIO controller that could interface to the XAUI core, but it is not supported in UltraScale+ and future families.

The 10G/25G Ethernet Subsystem does not have an MDIO controller to connect to the XAUI core. User has to use the XAUI core in configuration/status vector mode when interfacing to the 10G/25G Ethernet subsystem.  The XAUI core does send local fault over XGMII data to the MAC when the link is down and user can read the local fault status from the MAC AXI local fault register if user are looking to be able to read link status over the AXI lite register interface.

0 Kudos