UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Aurora 64b66b: Can the Slave work independent from the Master ?

Dear Xilinx experts,

can the Aurora64/66b slave work with his link partner, while the Aurora 64/66b master is not connected to any link partner ?

The question refers to the Aurora master / slave circuit as described in the Aurora product guide, and which is depicted below.
I have doubts whether this is possible !!!

Pic1.JPG

Kind regards

stgateizo

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Aurora 64b66b: Can the Slave work independent from the Master ?

hi @stgateizo ,

yes it will work since Master in the shown image has the QPLL control and reset logic, so pma_init on Master would drive the slave to go down as well, as gt_reset_out is connected to the slave instance.

To know more i would suggest to try in IPI flow with Connectivity and run a simulation 

Regards
Chandra sekhar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Explorer
Explorer

Hi csattar,

Thank you for this feedback. Well I'm asking this, since I have already created different example designs for the KC705, KCU105, KCU116, and I always run into the same problem. As soon as I disconnect the aurora master, the aurora slave will immediatly loose its link (channel up = down). When I connect the aurora master to its link partner afterwads, the aurora slave will immediatly establish the link without any errors.

So if you are right, there must be a mistake in my design.

By the way, this issue has nothing to do with the quality of the transmission line, since this issue can easily be reproduced by running the master and the slave in near-end pma loop back mode, without connecting any link partner. This means, when both, the master and the slave is running in loopback mode, both aurora ip-cores will work properly without any transmission errors. But when I set the aurora master in normal operation mode (no link partner anymore), the slave will immediatly show channel up problems.

Would it be possible for you to take a look at my vivado project?

I could share it with you by using ezmove...

Best regards

stgateizo

0 Kudos

hi @stgateizo ,

can you please cross the check connection with respect to the following AR 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64090.html

Regards
Chandra sekhar
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello Chandra sekhar,

well I already know AR# 64090, and I read it several times. But everything seems to be correct.

By the way, my FAE has opened a service request SR#10462333 in parallel. He got the answer from Rahul Khatri, that the slave link will not work, when the master link is broken. Please refer to the picture below:

Pic1.JPG

Rahul mentoined that the master will go in reset state, which will also hold the slave in reset. I think he refers to the statemachine in the Aurora example-design (written in verilog), but we do not use the example design. We just tried to make a block design based on the suggestion below:

Pic2.JPG

I'm really confused now, since you say it should work, and Rahul Khatri says it can't work.

Would it make sense to send you may design for further analyzations?

Best regards

stgateizo

0 Kudos

hi @stgateizo ,

your design board A to board B is not connected in master to slave fashion right , if you see it connected slave to slave and master to master .

from you design picture i see that  slave and master are not connected right ?

Regards
Chandra sekhar

0 Kudos

is internal master and slave is coneccted on single board ?

Regards
Chandra sekhar

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello Chandra sekhar ,

there is one Aurora master and one Aurora slave on each board, board A and board B, as depicted in the last post.

The Aurora master and the Aurora slave on board A are connected together as depicted in the block diagram in the last post.

The same circuit exists also on board B. So board B is a copy of Board A.

So the question is, can the slave to slave connection work, even if the master to master connection is disconnected ?

I hope it is more clear now.

Kind regards

stgateizo

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello Chandra sekhar ,

one in addition. The term Aurora master means only, that the Aurora IP-Core conatins all components, like QPLL, Reset-logic, Input Clock Buffers, inside the Aurora IP-Core. The term Aurora slave instead means, that the Aurora IP-Core does not contain these components. In order to get the Aurora slave running, the Aurora slave must be connected to the master as depicted in the block diagram (in the last post.).

The term Aurora master and Aurora slave does not mean, that the master will send data over the high speed link and the slave will receive it.

The highspeed link is working bidirectional (full duplex). So you can connect:

Master <=> Master

Master <=> Slave

Slave <=> Master

Slave <=> Slave

I hope you understand this?

Kind regards

stgateizo

0 Kudos

hi @stgateizo ,

Thanks for the update information  , i have last couple of  queires  before i give my answeres

1. if there is  no link on master to master , to regain the link on master to master is reset sequence is followed?

2. can i know the reason why master to master link is not present

3. is the link is disable manually , between master to master then how it is done .

4. is link is disable temporality only ?

Please let me know your inputs

Regards
Chandra sekhar

0 Kudos

hi @stgateizo ,

thanks for sharing the  information , i will update you soon 

Regards
Chandra sekhar

0 Kudos