UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer wen119at
Observer

Communicate OV9715 camera with ML605 FPGA board via FMC module

Hi everyone,

I am now trying to communicate the OV9715 camera with my ML605 FPGA board via FMC module (all ordered from Xilinx). And here are some questions.

1. Since the camera has no independent power supply, so the camera will be powered ON when the FPGA board is switch ON?
2. It can be seen from the datasheet of OV9715 that there are a system clock XCLK, which generate the PCLK for pixel synchronizaiton. However, I am wondering if I am required to provide the XCLK? I am puzzled because there is such pin on board (camera), but it can be seen from the datasheet that it seems the CAM{i}_XCLK is generated by a 27MHz clock. Do I need to provide the XCLK? What is the clock frequency of XCLK and PCLK?
3. There are many registers to be configured. However, I have no idea which ones must be configured for the camera to start giving pixels.
Can I just leave all the settings by default?
4. If the power is ON when the FPGA board is ON, and XCLK is generated automatically, what else are the necessary steps to make the camera starts working? Can I just turn ON the power can start receiving the pixels using self-created interface(HREF,DATA...)?
5. Is it possible for the camera to output 8-bit greyscale pixels instead of RGB?
Is it possible to share a reference design (not the one using EDK with lots of functions included, only the interface to communicate with camera/related configurations would be really appreciated)?

Many thanks for any hint...

By the way, I am using ISE13.1.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar joelby
Scholar

Re: Communicate OV9715 camera with ML605 FPGA board via FMC module

I haven't used the camera module, but I can give some general comments.

1) Probably, though it's possible that some control signal can switch power to the module on and off. You'd have to review the schematics of the camera module and FMC card to be sure (I poked around on Avnet's site for 10 minutes in vain)

2) I couldn't find the datasheet for OV9715 within a couple of minutes, but it looks a bit like it just has one XCLK that can be from 6-27 MHz, and there's an on-chip PLL that generates all required frequencies.

3) Maybe, but don't count on it. Some chips have a default all-zero configuration that does nothing. Read the datasheet carefully and look at what all of the default values are. Have a look at what the reference design sets up, and using the datasheet, work out why these are important.

4) Not sure without the datasheet, but again I'd look at the reference design and see exactly what it does to initialise the camera. The datasheet will probably also tell you what the startup procedure is.

5) Not sure without the datasheet, but you can convert RGB to greyscale by discarding two of the three channels, or by combining the three channels together using some mathematical function.

Are you asking for a pure HDL reference design? You could try asking Avnet (if that's who supplied the module) if they have one, but don't hold your breath - it's usually far quicker to write microprocessor code to initialise peripheral modules like this than doing it in HDL. If you're asking for a simpler one, you could examine the program flow to see what is actually being used and delete/comment out the rest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer wen119at
Observer

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am a beginner and really have no idea about how to initiat the camera...

Thanks for your help..

0 Kudos
Observer wen119at
Observer

By the way, I check the pinout of the Clock synthesizer on Avnet FMC Module

I found that Y1 and Y2 have the default output which is 27MHz, but there are NO output on Y4 and Y5, which are the system clock (XCLK) for camera.

It says in the datasheet that all outputs have default clock frequency the same as that of the input. But there are NO output on Y3 and Y4.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/cdce925.html

I am wondering if you may have any idea about this?

Here attached the datasheet for Avnet FMC module.

Many thanks for any hint.

0 Kudos
Scholar joelby
Scholar

Dunno! Is the FPGA configured? The reference design might have programmed the frequency generator and disabled Y4 and Y5. If it's not configured, maybe there's something else connected to those pins that are pulling the signals low (e.g. the FPGA pin is set as an output rather than high impedance)

It might be worth asking your Avnet FAE for help with this one as they should be able to put you in touch with somebody who is familiar with these boards.

0 Kudos