UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer m@rx
Observer

How to utilize 10G Ethernet Subsystem with UDP packets

I want to use the 10G Ethernet Subsystem on a ZC706 development board for two use cases:

- sending data between two development baords

- sending data between a zc706 and an intel network card

I want to use 64bit interface width. So the si5324 jitter attenuator is configured for 156,25mhz and in first instance I wired the transceivers in loopback in quad 111.

AXI stream signals match the ones from the xilinx pattern generator. All ingoing signals are synchronous to coreclk.

Now I have the following issues/questions I did not find any solution elsewhere:

- I guess there is a minimal packet length required?

- Data arrive but only the first and the last 64 bit in single pieces. It seems something goes wrong. pcspma_status is 1. txuserready is high. Do I have to configure the ethernet subsystem from software? I ask because the AXI lite interface for status and configuration seems optional.

- What is the standard configuration in which the core runs? Does it send UDP packets?

Is there something else I am missing to run the core?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Screenshot from 2019-05-07 15-39-06.png
Screenshot from 2019-05-07 15-39-19.png
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Re: How to utilize 10G Ethernet Subsystem with UDP packets

m@rx,

Ensure that the Ethernet packet lengths are min 64 Bytes in size. This is IEEE standard. Else core will drop the frames as errored frames.

I think the core sends only raw Ethernet frames.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Observer m@rx
Observer

@dpaul24 wrote:

m@rx,

Ensure that the Ethernet packet lengths are min 64 Bytes in size. This is IEEE standard. Else core will drop the frames as errored frames.

I think the core sends only raw Ethernet frames.

You're right. Below this size packets are dropped and not transmitted. But if it is raw ethernet frame, do I have to set a header in the axi stream or does the content not matter at all?

I guess it is a transparent interface. data in -> data out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

m@rx,

No headers are required.

You frame source can be as simple as sending out something like <Dest MAC Addr> <Src MAC Addr> <Payload> <FCS>

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
Observer m@rx
Observer

@dpaul24 wrote:

m@rx,

No headers are required.

You frame source can be as simple as sending out something like <Dest MAC Addr> <Src MAC Addr> <Payload> <FCS>

Hi @dpaul24 ,

thank you for the information. I am just wondering why I do not receive any data no matter what AXI data I send. Even in the simulation. Do you have an idea what goes wrong?

Screenshot from 2019-05-09 17-04-14.png
Screenshot from 2019-05-09 17-06-42.png
0 Kudos