UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Is it possible to use Zybo's ethernet on PL through EMIO?

Accepted Solution Solved
Adventurer
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to use Zybo's ethernet on PL through EMIO?

Hello folks,

I am trying to use Zybo's ethernet in the PL side directly - I believe it is possible to redirect through EMIO? 

Are there designs available? I could not find anything. 

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: Is it possible to use Zybo's ethernet on PL through EMIO?

@ubenevides In zynq you can connect PS controllers (under some condition) to PL IOs. Is this what you want? If you want to access ethernet functionality from the PL side,  the only "direct" way is to generate AHB transactions and talk to the ethernet controller to duplicate the behavior of a software driver by a PL AHB master. There is no other direct interface.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Voyager

Hey @ubenevides,

The 7Series Zynq FPGAs all feature two gigabit ethernet controller peripherials which can be mapped to EMIO, so you can definitely do that. The problem is more that you need the physical layer stuff as well, which is usually not available on most development boards.

There is a wiki entry regarding PL Ethernet on the Zynq which should provide some useful information.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
Highlighted
Teacher

@ubenevides In zynq you can connect PS controllers (under some condition) to PL IOs. Is this what you want? If you want to access ethernet functionality from the PL side,  the only "direct" way is to generate AHB transactions and talk to the ethernet controller to duplicate the behavior of a software driver by a PL AHB master. There is no other direct interface.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Adventurer

@hpoetzl It's actually the opposite. I want to bypass the PS and handle the Zybo's gigabit ethernet in PL. But I think I misunderstood what EMIO is for. I see EMIO is actually a master to link to external ethernet lines, not a way to bypass the PS as I was thinking.

@muzaffer I understand this now. I guess for now I will just handle the ethernet flow in PS and push it to the PL through an AXI Fifo or similar. 

Thanks all

Voyager

You're welcome!

I see EMIO is actually a master to link to external ethernet lines, not a way to bypass the PS as I was thinking.

Yep, there is no way to bypass the PS and 'hijack' PS peripherials that way.

What you still can do is use the PS peripherials from PL without involving the ARM cores via AXI.

But handling ethernet in PS and sending packets to PL is usually simpler.

Best,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!