UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ilias
Visitor

Low bandwidth in xapp1305 fror zcu102

Hi All,

I am testing 10Gb Ethernet  using binaries from xapp1305 ( Version: 1.2 from  19APR2018 )

My setup is

zcu102 FPGA with SFP+ adapter from Avago  connected to Intel 10Gb card on desktop Linux system.

I am running iperf3  on FPGA side 

iperf3 -c 192.168.1.1 -b10G -w32M -t=99999 

and on PC side

iperf3 -s -i1

I am getting very low bandwidth of about 200Mb ( mega bit! not byte)

What is a really interesting , if i am adding -Z flag to iperf, I am getting a pretty good  bandwidth of about 1.8Gb ( giga bit)

It is very unusual that zero copy can make a x8 impact on network bandwidth.

Looking into wireshark capture, I see that in case of normal( non zero copy) session, TCP packet size is small( ~4K) which explains low bandwidth.

I will really appreciate a hint here, as moving our app to zero copy seems not simple

( actually, I am not sure how to do it from Linux user mode )

Thanks

Ilia

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Observer jbeck695
Observer

Re: Low bandwidth in xapp1305 fror zcu102

I'm curious if you ever figured out a solution here. It took me a while to finally get it working but I just got same connection you mention above working yesterday. My first performance test was to try iperf3 that was included in xapp1305 but iperf3 on zcu board was missing a library so I just ran a simple scp of an 8gb file. Throughput was awful (12M/sec) but I haven't really dug much as of yet. I'm doing that now & came across your post. I figured I'd reach out to see if you discovered any optimizations.

Thx,

Joe

0 Kudos
Visitor ilias
Visitor

Re: Low bandwidth in xapp1305 fror zcu102

It was some time ago, but I remember that upfarding xapp1305 reference design to v.1.3 ( https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1305-ps-pl-based-ethernet-solution.pdf ) had a great impactr on the bandwidth.

Also, you may want to configure mtu to somethink like 9000

0 Kudos