UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer wjun
Observer

More clocks in the clock region than the maximum number of clocks

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to use four 64b66b aurora cores on a single quad, each using one lane, separately.

They all run with the same refclock, at the same bandwidth, using the gtxe common.

This works fine with two cores (I haven't tried three), but four fails with

ERROR: [Place 30-177] Unroutable Placement! There are more clocks in the clock region than the maximum number of allowed clocks per clock region.

ERROR: CLOCKREGION_X1Y6 has 13 clocks. The maximum number of clocks allowed in any clock region is 12.

Each core uses three clocks, (user clock, rx clock, sync clock), and I have a bufg for the 50MHz init clock, which adds up to 13.

What would be the best way to solve this?

(1) Is it possible to use the USER_CLOCK from one core for the other cores as well?

(2) The transceiver user guide says I can clock other cores using the tx out clock of one core. Is that the suggested method with separate cores running separately, as well?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: More clocks in the clock region than the maximum number of clocks

Jump to solution

Having worked with the 64b66b core with Virtex 6, I recall there was the user clock, the shim clock, and the sync clock.  I'm not sure if the 4th clock is the actual MGT clock in your case.  Anyway, if all your independent lanes are running at the same data rate, then you can use one DCM to generate the user, sync, and shim clocks for your design.  When you generate the Aurora 64b66b core, each generated core has its own DCM which is redundant in your design scenario.  You'll have to do some modifications to the generated code, but it shouldn't be much.

-Jordan

This signature intentionally left blank.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Having worked with the 64b66b core with Virtex 6, I recall there was the user clock, the shim clock, and the sync clock.  I'm not sure if the 4th clock is the actual MGT clock in your case.  Anyway, if all your independent lanes are running at the same data rate, then you can use one DCM to generate the user, sync, and shim clocks for your design.  When you generate the Aurora 64b66b core, each generated core has its own DCM which is redundant in your design scenario.  You'll have to do some modifications to the generated code, but it shouldn't be much.

-Jordan

This signature intentionally left blank.
0 Kudos
Observer wjun
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks! It seems to work!

I used one MMCM clocked from the tx_out_clk of one core,

and used its output as USER_CLK and SYNC_CLK of all four cores.

It seems to work correctly.

:)

0 Kudos