UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

SGMII Kintex in Async LVDS SelectIO Mode

Hello Guys,

i need the "1G/2.5G Ethernet PCS/PMA or SGMII" IP core with Asynchrounous LVDS SelectIO.

I am using a Kintex Device and i found out that this functionality is only avliable on a Ultrascale device .

Furthermore i see that for the Kintex Device, there is an Application Note (XAPP523) available, where i can oversample

the SGMII LVDS.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp523-lvds-4x-asynchronous-oversampling.pdf

So with these files, i am able to operate the SGMII on a Kintex device with Asynchrounous LVDS SelectIO. Im i right?

My question is, how can i use the "1G/2.5G Ethernet PCS/PMA or SGMII" IP Core with the oversampling method?

Because, as i understood, the IP core SGMII interface (rxn and rxp and the refclk) needs to be connected to FPGA PINs.

In that case, i couldn't use this IP core. I have to write my own SGMII to GMII IP core. Is that true?

That would be very bad.

I hope, you can help me guys.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: SGMII Kintex in Async LVDS SelectIO Mode

Hi @astei87,

Yes, you are right that PCS/PMA or SGMII core is only supported with async over LVDS on US devices. The application note does provide a method on how to use ISERDESE2 to do async oversampling on 7 Series. But there is no support of async SGMII over LVDS in the PCS/PMA or SGMII core directly.

What you may want to try is to generate the SGMII core and compare the LVDS wrapper to the reference design in the application note and check.

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos