UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Timing failure in use of LogiCORE IP GMII to RGMII v2.0

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am having problems in meeting the timing constrains of two instances of the IP GMII to RGMII v2.0.  Please see the screen-shot. Also attached is the xdc I am using.

timing_sum.jpg

I have referred to the GMII to RGMII v4.0, PG160 November 18, 2015, docu for building the xdc file for my design.

Please help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gmii_crossover_timing_err.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Re: Timing failure in use of LogiCORE IP GMII to RGMII v2.0

Jump to solution

Thanks

I have already used the Xilinx IDELAY primitives and it has solved the issue. Setting the proper IDELAY_VALUE was the key.

Suprisingly the XDC was so simple thereafter, no i/p delays and o/p delays were required to be specified.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have been playing around with my XDC file and have managed to get rid of the errors mentioned above.

However there are still some critical warning messages.

set_op_delay__warning.jpg

Is it necessary to set i/p and o/p delays for the *_rgmii_rx* and *_rgmii_tx*?

If yes, should I look into the data sheet of the Marvell PHY chips for the delay values?

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

Check if the clock mentioned in the constraints exists from the implemented designa and if necessary correct the path.

You can also try varying the idelay tap values to meet the timing.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

Thanks

I have already used the Xilinx IDELAY primitives and it has solved the issue. Setting the proper IDELAY_VALUE was the key.

Suprisingly the XDC was so simple thereafter, no i/p delays and o/p delays were required to be specified.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
Visitor chen.lh
Visitor

Jump to solution

hello.i use the GMII to RGMII IP also reference to "http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2015/12/using-axi-ethernet-subsystem-and-gmii-to-rgmii-in-a-multi-port-ethernet-design.html". When i use PC to Ping my customize board, it can ping successfully,however,it always loss package. i don not know what may make this happen.

the xdc file are also copy from the web link(FPGA Developer), and from PG160 manual. however, when i generate bitstream, it failed to meet timing requirement.

Timing.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

Have you tried varying the idelay tap values to fix the timing errors?

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor chen.lh
Visitor

Jump to solution
yes i did. the primitive value is 16, i changed it from 12 to 22. i found when the hold time is meet the setup time failed again, inverse, when the setup time is meet, the hold time failed again.
As the board is a customized board, is this has to use special I/O ports(like HR or HP)? i use ZC7020 and select bank35 and voltage is 1.8V.
0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi Chen,

This might help you, an alternative...

Initially I was using the IDELAY modules to set up the delays. But now not.

I use set_input_delay and set_output_delay in my xdc to constrain my design.

You might try this approach.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos