UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ultrascale+ 100G Ethernet over Optical Fiber

Jump to solution

Hi

I'm able to communicate and send data from FPGA to computer through 100G ethernet copper cable successfully. Now I want to try optical fibers.

Based on the advice I got here in the forum, I should enable optical fiber connection by sending a command by I2c protocol.

However, in the documentation of Ultrascale+ 100G ethernet subsustem, there is nothing about any commands over I2c, but, it talks about an option in "General" tab of IP configuration called "Enable TX OTN Interface" (OTN stands for Optical Transport Network).

My question is do I need to send I2c commands? or Enabling the option above would be sufficient?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: Ultrascale+ 100G Ethernet over Optical Fiber

Jump to solution

This is not a problem in the GTY...  it's in the optical QSFP module that you've plugged into the socket..   you need to carefully examine the QSFP module data sheet, and see if there are any registers that need to be programmed to enable the lasers.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
10 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

The way that I read the QSFP specification on page 55,  the lasers in the 4 channels have a default value of being enabled.  So it seems that no action is required by I2C commands to begin transmitting data.

Depending on the optical transceiver that you select, it might be needed to configure it for RX and TX rate select via I2C.  

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
@jmcclusk Thankyou.

I have generated the example design for Ultrascale+ 100G IP Core in which :

1- "Enable TX OTN Interface" is enabled.
2- "IEEE 802.3bj RS-FEC" is disabled. Since Optical QSFP module which I'm using has its own FEC.

I generated the bitcode but the example design does not work on real hardware.

I'm using Optical Fiber loopback adapter. How can I debug the issue?
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You almost certainly don't want to use the OTN interface if you are trying to connect to another Ethernet port.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
@allanherriman @jmcclusk

so if I do not turn on OTN, the core wouldn't be different from the core I use for copper cable. It works correctly with copper cable loopback adapter, but It does not work with optical fiber loopback.

Does it mean that the laser transceivers are off? How can I debug it?
0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Better check the datasheet for your optical transceiver..  It should at a minimum list the control and status registers on the i2c interface.   The lasers should be enabled by default.. but maybe not with this module..   Read the data sheet to see.

Jump to solution

The first thing to check is the Loss Of Signal indication on the link partner.  (Assuming it has one, of course.  Sometimes there's just a "link" LED that will be off for a variety of L1 and L2 causes.)

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@jmcclusk

Ultrascale+ 100G ethernet subsystem uses GTY transmitters. In GTY Transmitter Documentation, there is one line saying:

The GTY transceiver supports these use modes:

Optical channel transport unit (OTU): OTU-1, OTU-2, OTU-3, OTU-4

and there is no extra information and no other explanation. There are some DRP registers but I'm not sure which registers are related to optical lasers.

The QSFP specification that you sent to me was extremely helpful but I'm not sure if those specifications would be the same for VCU118 board that I'm using.

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

This is not a problem in the GTY...  it's in the optical QSFP module that you've plugged into the socket..   you need to carefully examine the QSFP module data sheet, and see if there are any registers that need to be programmed to enable the lasers.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@jmcclusk Thank you! I found the information you mentioned in VCU118 documentation. I'll work on it.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I had a similar problem after switching from copper cable to optical QSFP+.

The problem was that LPMode pin of QSFP is 1 by default, and 100GBASE-LR4 trasciever I use does not support operation in low power mode. The problem was fixed when I changed LPMode pin value to 0.

Hope it'll help someone.

0 Kudos