UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

V6 Tri-mode ethernet mac wrapper core in Virtex-7

Highlighted
Contributor

V6 Tri-mode ethernet mac wrapper core in Virtex-7

Hi everyone,

I am trying to migrate my firmware from ISE 14.7 (Virtex-6) to Vivado 2017.3 (Virtex-7). At some point I need to generate a Virtex-6 Tri-mode ethernet mac wrapper core, but after checking for the 7th series chip in Vivado IP catalog there is no corresponding core. Can anyone please help me, in order to generate the right core. My PHY interface is SGMII.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

--John

Scholar

Re: V6 Tri-mode ethernet mac wrapper core in Virtex-7

Virtex-6 has four TEMAC hard core Ethernet controllers on most members of that family.

There is no corresponding hard core in V7, hence there is no wrapper IP for it.

You can achieve a similar result by using a soft core MAC/PCS, etc.

Contributor

Dear @allanherriman,

thank you for your reply, is there a reason why Xilinx stopped to provide the hard core wrapper ?? Also, for the similar result you are talking to is there any documentation or example I can find ?? Thank you again

Cheers

--John

Scholar

@johnxiowrote:

is there a reason why Xilinx stopped to provide the hard core wrapper ??

I can't speak for Xilinx, but I understand that there is a significant cost to having a hard core on an FPGA, as opposed to using that same area for general logic and routing.  It only makes economic sense to "harden" the things that would be difficult or expensive to do in the regular FPGA fabric.

A 1Gb/s Ethernet MAC would have been considered leading edge early this century.  Today it seems like a dinosaur.  Instead, in today's FPGAs, we find things like 100Gb/s Ethernet MACs.

To answer your other question, fire up Vivado, create a project, look at the IP catalog(ue), search for something like "Communications and Networking" "Ethernet".

This should lead you to a few MAC cores.  I didn't find any free ones though.

Contributor

Hi @allanherriman,

thank you very much for your information about the hard and the soft cores.

About the core generator yes I am aware of the existence of those MAC cores but the problem is that as far I could understand the only way to create a sgmii tri-mode ethernet MAC adapter is to combine two cores together, and the documentation about it is not so clear.

Cheers

--John