UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor expeditor
Visitor

Alternative to Arduino/ 4 channel shield and converter

Jump to solution

Hi...We're prototyping a product and now looking for a smaller, more efficient cost effective source for the electronics.

Our product requires sequencing of up to four strands of 5mm LED lights (max .10 amps).

For prototyping we've used an Arduino uno, a 4 channel relay shield to the individual strands and an AC to DC 5v converter to power the Arduino.

Can you suggest a smaller, affordable, programmable alternative to this set up?

Grateful for your reply.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Alternative to Arduino/ 4 channel shield and converter

Jump to solution

Hello expeditor,

Thanks for the data it helps. Typically Xilinx products, FPGAs and SoC are more complex, therefore more costly than Ardunio. Here are some basics. Ardunio is classifed as a micro-controller. An FPGA is totally flexible and can be a micro-contoller plus it can have other logic as part of the FPGA.Since the FPGA is totally flexible in what it can do it it more "powerful" and therefore more expensive than an Ardunio.

The Xilinx SoCs have ARM Cortex-A9 or a combination of ARM Cotrex-A53s and Cotrex-R5s. All of these processors on Xilinx SoCs are more powerful than the Ardunio's micro-controller. Again more powerful, more expensive.

Entry level boards from Xilinx and partners are more than than the cost you have. Plus Xilinx parts can do far more than "our LED light strands turn on/ off, flash etc. in sequence" than you are looking for. If you need more flexibility and capability then Xilinx would be a fit. From what I read I do not feel that Xilinx is a fit for what you want to do, too much for what you need.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello expeditor,

When you state "smaller, affordable, programmable alternative" I am guessing that you are looking for a FPGA to replace the Arduino uno. Looking at the Arduino uno price it is less $25 which is less most Xilinx development boards. So I am not sure if I can suggest a "smaller and affordable" alternative.

And what are you looking to implement with the FPGA since it would seem that Arduino micro-controller is sufficient for your needs. So more details on what your are looking to do in the FPGA replacing the Arduino would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Visitor expeditor
Visitor

Jump to solution

ForrestP…thank you for addressing my question. Allow me to disclose we are novices.

That said, our aim is to have the four LED light strands turn on/ off, flash etc. in sequence for our prototype to work correctly.  

The root problem is the Arduino/4 channel shield/ac-dc converter combo is too large for what we need.

Overall combo cost is roughly $55.

So we are scouting for a smaller, affordable solution…if there is one?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello expeditor,

Thanks for the data it helps. Typically Xilinx products, FPGAs and SoC are more complex, therefore more costly than Ardunio. Here are some basics. Ardunio is classifed as a micro-controller. An FPGA is totally flexible and can be a micro-contoller plus it can have other logic as part of the FPGA.Since the FPGA is totally flexible in what it can do it it more "powerful" and therefore more expensive than an Ardunio.

The Xilinx SoCs have ARM Cortex-A9 or a combination of ARM Cotrex-A53s and Cotrex-R5s. All of these processors on Xilinx SoCs are more powerful than the Ardunio's micro-controller. Again more powerful, more expensive.

Entry level boards from Xilinx and partners are more than than the cost you have. Plus Xilinx parts can do far more than "our LED light strands turn on/ off, flash etc. in sequence" than you are looking for. If you need more flexibility and capability then Xilinx would be a fit. From what I read I do not feel that Xilinx is a fit for what you want to do, too much for what you need.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos