UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor danm992
Visitor

How to form a dev team

Hello all,

For the last 4 years I've been working on an artificial intelligence robot. It serves more as a human-aid than a human replacement, and is designed with the hopes of it working in a number of industries alongside human counterparts. Once such example being palliative care for improving quality life of patients, and decreasing stress on nurses, by bringing patients things, keeping them company, and just as a general caregiver. Originally this project was designed as a Windows native c# application, but due to the way Windows does things (such as how it allocates memory, and the dozens of useless processes it runs [useless at least to the scope of my project]), I decided I would migrate to make an SoC from a Xilinx FPGA, and a few other Xilinx and Microchip components on a custom made single board computer. I've been making good elemental progress toward this ambitious migration as of late, but the switch to SystemVerilog from C# has of course required a lot more code and specificity.

I am posting here wondering how independent developers usually go about gaining support and forming a team of developers around them to work collaboratively. I'm not interested in bringing this project to an existing tech company, even if they do in fact have tools and resources I do not. The reason for this is that I want to maintain 100% ownership either personally, or among those assisting in the development of this project. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

Re: How to form a dev team

How do independent developers quickly form a team around themselves to work collaboratively with others while maintaining 100% ownership?  With money.  Lots of money.

Doing it the hard way and forming a team to work collaboratively without money often means forfeiting ownership and a lot of work over a long time.  I've personally been successful using the "inbound marketing" approach and my own personal blog.  It, still takes time.  I haven't created the community  yet that I need to create, however.  One of the big pieces I'm missing from my own project is forum support and a large wiki.  Even the larger teams I see who are working on big projects with big money take a couple of years to get off the ground and build a community.

Patience would be a good key to start with, and then start working on building your web presence,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor danm992
Visitor

Thank you for your reply! So with your project, do you have anyone working on your project with you? If so, how much ownership do you maintain?

0 Kudos
Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

Yes.  I have some minimal amount of community involvement, while still maintaining 100% ownership.  The difficult part of the community involvement I have is that 1) everyone participating has different abilities, and 2) they all have different visions and goals.

Are you sure you want community involvement?  :D

Dan

0 Kudos
Visitor danm992
Visitor

Good to know! I think I do want community involvement because while having conflicting visions can be problematic of course, I think that the different perspectives and collaboration may expedite the growth of the project (hopefully anyway).

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

@danm992 What's the eventual plan for this project? Are you aiming to develop this privately and then commercialize the technology? Or to release it for free so that everyone can use it?

If you're sure that it's going to make a lot of money, then the options are to either persuade some other developers that it will (who will then, in return for part ownership, work on the project with the aim of reaching the eventual payoff) or persuading someone with ready money (bank, investor, some group that provides grants, etc) of the same thing so you can hire developers.

If the plan is to release it for free, I expect you'll get a better result just by doing that now (ie. put it on GitLab) so that large numbers of developers can see what you're doing and possibly make small contributions (rather than requiring a small number of developers who each make very large contributions).

0 Kudos