UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant svenssonjoel
Participant

OpenAmp petalinux BSP file for board that is not on the list

Jump to solution

Hi,

How does one use get a petalinux-openAMP BSP file for a board that is *not* on the list here: https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools.html

Is then the only hope that the board manufacturer provides one? Or can they be somehow generated using VIVADO SDK? Can someone with very small experience in hardware "tweak" one of the provided BSPs for compatibility with another board?

These BSP's are such a confusing area for me. The SDK clearly allows you create BSP "projects" but how do they relate to this question? if at all.

Thanks, have  a great day!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: OpenAmp petalinux BSP file for board that is not on the list

Jump to solution

Hi Joel,

Your petalinux project can be created with one of the provided bsps (from Downloads) or using your hdf by pointing to it using get-hw-description.

If you are not using the bsp, the prebuilt folder (with the images and dtb's) will not be created as well as some of the dtsi's which get included in the meta-user directory.

But the content of the dtsi is present in the document as well.

If you look at page 33 in the UG1186 (2018.2) , the device-tree example is given. This is the same content that is present in the openamp-overlay.dtsi. You can copy the device-tree to your system-user.dtsi. We also have it on the OpenAMP wiki.

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/OpenAMP+2018.2. The dtsi in the example is for 2 RPU slaves. If you are only talking to one, you only need to include the pd and firmware memory nodes for R5-0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
3 Replies

Jump to solution

A petalinux bsp is a bsp for your board - If you are using a ZCU102 board with production silicon you would ZCU102 BSP (prod-silicon) from the Downloads. You will need to download the bsp required for your board. 

If you wish to create a bsp with your customized petalinux project please refer to the user guide (UG1144 - page 48 in v2018.2)

0 Kudos
Participant svenssonjoel
Participant

Jump to solution

Thanks,

However, I am not sure this helps my understanding much.  I understand that this may be because I didnt provide enough context in my question, sorry.

I wanted to try out OpenAMP. All "how to do OpenAMP" tutorials seem to assume you already have an existing OpenAMP-BSP provided by the board manufacturer. 

I see that UG1144 talks about packaging a BSP. But will that BSP be what I need for trying out OpenAMP.

I am also confused why I would need a "BSP" at all. I can create, build and run linuxes using Petalinux without one! By using the command 'petalinux-config --get-hw-description=Path/to/sdk/directory'. 

So. I tried to to go through the UG1186 but using the "get-hw-description" approach mentioned above instead of the BSP approach mention in UG1186.  But after a while I got to a place in the text that said I should have an openamp-overlay.dtsi file. At that time, that file does not exist. I got stuck, and assumed that the problem is that I didn't start out using some special OpenAMP-BSP, is this correct? Or are there some extra switches a person who use the "get-hw-description" approach need to flip?  (or maybe the "get-hw-description" approach is just not right at all.)

Thanks again for trying to help me out

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Joel,

Your petalinux project can be created with one of the provided bsps (from Downloads) or using your hdf by pointing to it using get-hw-description.

If you are not using the bsp, the prebuilt folder (with the images and dtb's) will not be created as well as some of the dtsi's which get included in the meta-user directory.

But the content of the dtsi is present in the document as well.

If you look at page 33 in the UG1186 (2018.2) , the device-tree example is given. This is the same content that is present in the openamp-overlay.dtsi. You can copy the device-tree to your system-user.dtsi. We also have it on the OpenAMP wiki.

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/OpenAMP+2018.2. The dtsi in the example is for 2 RPU slaves. If you are only talking to one, you only need to include the pd and firmware memory nodes for R5-0