Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rakend_r
Adventurer
Adventurer

7 Series GTX QPLL doubts

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've generated GTX example design using gt_wizard. By looking at the codes, I'm having some doubts regarding QPLL configuration.

qpll.PNG

Following is the doubt:

Input GT reference clk to QPLL is 125MHz. N (QPLL_FBDIV) is 40, M (QPLL_REFCLK_DIV) is 1. So according to this PLL out clock is 2.5GHz. So what is the VCO frequency? If this is twice the output frequency, it will be 5MHz. But why this is not specified in the operating range?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @rakend_r,

I generated example design with these parameters for GTX transceivers and observed below values for QPLL attributes -

QPLL_REFCLK_DIV (M) = 1

QPLL_FBDIV/QPLL_FBDIV_RATIO (N) = 80

TX/RXOUT_DIV (D) = 4

So the calculations considering these values are 

PLL output frequency = 125 * (80 / 2) = 5000 MHz

Wherein VCO frequency is 125 * 80 = 10 GHz . So in this case upper band frequency is used for VCO.

You can cross-verify this by checking 6th bit of QPLL_CFG attribute. It is 0 when upper band is used.

In general, according to your selection of line rate and PLL (CPLL/QPLL), divider value (TX/RXOUT_DIV) is appropriately chosen by the wizard (as per the datasheet of device selected) and then remaining values are so adjusted to have VCO frequency in either of the bands.

Hope this clears the confusion.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
check this one related ARs it may help you partially
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43244.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
rakend_r
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I'm trying to understand what they are given in the datasheet. With my settings, what is the VCO frequency and in which band it falls?

0 Kudos
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

see ARs foot note it mention

For QPLL operating in 5.93 GHz to 6.6 GHz range which is  VCO frequency

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
0 Kudos
rakend_r
Adventurer
Adventurer
Hi, I didn't get the answer from that AR. Question is that the GT example design gives some parameters, N = 80 , M = 1. My input clock is 125MHz. So the Output clk will be 2.5GHz, which leads to 5GHz VCO frequency (Is this correct?), if so, nominal operating range as per datasheet starts from 5.93 GHz. So what I'm missing here.
0 Kudos
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

sure no issue . You must have to set the M and N value such that the VCO frequency in the given range of PLL.

This is my understanding let me check again

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos
rakend_r
Adventurer
Adventurer

FYI ,

Aurora 8B10B Example design gives QPLL configuration as N = 40 , M = 1 for 125MHz, which leads to VCO frequency of 5GHz. This is NOT in the operating range of VCO frequency as per Kintex7 DC and Switching Characteristics Datasheet.

But in the GTXE2_CHANNEL is configured to select CPLL instead of QPLL. So the above configuration is of no use at all..

0 Kudos
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
@venkata

Adding venkata if he can comment for Aurora core
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos
venkata
Aurora 8B10B does not use QPLL.

QPLL is instantiated in the IP only to ensure bias_cfg parameter is set properly as per the AR below.
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43339.html

The IP may not configure the QPLL for the target line rate since it is not used in the design.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @rakend_r,

Can you tell us the line rate selected by you while customizing wizard?

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
rakend_r
Adventurer
Adventurer

2.5Gbps with 125MHz ref clock.

0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @rakend_r,

I generated example design with these parameters for GTX transceivers and observed below values for QPLL attributes -

QPLL_REFCLK_DIV (M) = 1

QPLL_FBDIV/QPLL_FBDIV_RATIO (N) = 80

TX/RXOUT_DIV (D) = 4

So the calculations considering these values are 

PLL output frequency = 125 * (80 / 2) = 5000 MHz

Wherein VCO frequency is 125 * 80 = 10 GHz . So in this case upper band frequency is used for VCO.

You can cross-verify this by checking 6th bit of QPLL_CFG attribute. It is 0 when upper band is used.

In general, according to your selection of line rate and PLL (CPLL/QPLL), divider value (TX/RXOUT_DIV) is appropriately chosen by the wizard (as per the datasheet of device selected) and then remaining values are so adjusted to have VCO frequency in either of the bands.

Hope this clears the confusion.

Regards,
Ashish

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
rakend_r
Adventurer
Adventurer
Thanks @ashishd

Can you check the same using Aurora 8B10B example design?
0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @rakend_r,

In Aurora 8B10B example design, QPLL is only instantiated to have BIAS_CFG parameter set properly. It uses channel PLL to achieve desired line rate. You can cross-check it by verifyingTXSYSCLKSEL[1:0] port of GTXE2_CHANNEL.

You will find that both these bits are tied to ground which means CPLL output clock if forwarded to TX datapath and TXOUTCLK generation logic. 

So in this case, you need to look in for CPLL calculations which are mentioned on page #47 in below UG

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug476_7Series_Transceivers.pdf

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos
rakend_r
Adventurer
Adventurer
I've confirmed that Aurora is using CPLL by checking SYSCLKSEL. But I was wondering why it has instantiated QPLL. I'm unaware about the usage of BIAS_CFG.

I've a design which is created from Aurora example design which uses CPLL. I wanted to change that to QPLL. And I found that the QPLL is instantiated with wrong configuration and CPLL is used. All confusion started from this.

Thanks a lot for clearing it.

PS : Where can I find the doc for BIAS_CFG ? In UG, it is saying reserved use. And How can i convert the Aurora Example design from CPLL to QPLL?
0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @rakend_r,

Please check below AR to know details about BIAS_CFG

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43339.html

May I know the purpose behind switching CPLL to QPLL? Because if we take an example of KC705 board device xc7k325tffg900-2, maximum line rate supported is 6.6 Gbps for Aurora 8B10B and as per datasheet CPLL supports maximum line rate of 6.6 Gbps.

Regards,
Ashish
rakend_r
Adventurer
Adventurer
I'm referring to Aurora 8B10B example to design my code with 3 lanes. Each is of 2.5Gbps. I've been advised to use QPLL instead of CPLL in that design. Protocol is custom.
0 Kudos
rakend_r
Adventurer
Adventurer
Hi @ashishd,

Just one doubt.

As per your reply, QPLL is required even if we are using only CPLL. Is there any documentation regarding this?
0 Kudos