UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bitfiddler
Visitor

Artix-7 LVDS Clock Input HR Bank with VCCO=1.8V

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I have a clock coming from a 2.5V LVDS clock buffer (http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC100EP210S-D.PDF) that I would like to use within the FPGA. 

The clock is connected to CC pins in the HR bank on the Artix-7 with VCCO=1.8V. 

Since HR banks only support LVDS_25, which require the VCCO to be at 2.5V, I have added an external termination resistor. 

Questions:

Is it ok to directly connect the output of the clock buffer to the HR bank?

Do I need to add AC couple capacitors and DC bias resistors at the input of the FPGA?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Artix-7 LVDS Clock Input HR Bank with VCCO=1.8V

Jump to solution

> Since HR banks only support LVDS_25, which require the VCCO to be at 2.5V

This is true output, but inputs can be any VCCO from 1.5 to 3.3V in HR banks, except for the following case...

> I have added an external termination resistor. 

Yes, the use of the internal DIFF_TERM feature requires that VCCO is 2.5V in the HR bank so you need to add the external resistor.

> Is it ok to directly connect the output of the clock buffer to the HR bank?

Yes, because the absolute voltage that the input pin will see will not exceed your VCCO of 1.8V.

> Do I need to add AC couple capacitors and DC bias resistors at the input of the FPGA?

No, just the differential termination resistor.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Visitor bitfiddler
Visitor

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Please look in UG471at the table Vcco and Vref Requirements for Each Supported I/O Standard.

Note 1 answers your questions:

• Differential INPUTS for LVDS_25 standard can be placed in banks with Vcco levels that are different from the required level for outputs.
  • In some cases it might be necessary to provide an external circuit to both AC-couple and DC-bias the pins.

Regards,

Eze

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

> Since HR banks only support LVDS_25, which require the VCCO to be at 2.5V

This is true output, but inputs can be any VCCO from 1.5 to 3.3V in HR banks, except for the following case...

> I have added an external termination resistor. 

Yes, the use of the internal DIFF_TERM feature requires that VCCO is 2.5V in the HR bank so you need to add the external resistor.

> Is it ok to directly connect the output of the clock buffer to the HR bank?

Yes, because the absolute voltage that the input pin will see will not exceed your VCCO of 1.8V.

> Do I need to add AC couple capacitors and DC bias resistors at the input of the FPGA?

No, just the differential termination resistor.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com

View solution in original post

Visitor bitfiddler
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thank you very much.
0 Kudos