Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mushihao
Observer
Observer

Async fifo timing violations using FIFO generator

Hi,

I am using vivado 2020.1 and FIFO generator 13.2. I implemented "independent clocks built in FIFO" with write data width 1024 and read data with 512. I feed write clock 200MHz and read clock 400Mhz in the design. However, I always got a lot of timing violations on the path from EMPTY to RDEN. Has anyone seen such issue before and any suggestion on it?

Thanks,

Hao

0 Kudos
4 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

without knowing the device your targeting, or the timing constraints your using, or the error reports, not much we can say,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

You say the timing violation is from EMPTY to RDEN, not from your read clock to RDEN.  Does this mean that the RDEN signal does not come directly from a register?  At 400MHz, this may be a problem.  How many levels of logic are between a clocked register and the RDEN signal?

0 Kudos
mushihao
Observer
Observer

Oh, I think you are right. The source of the violation path is RDCLK and the destination is RDEN. The violation datapath is shown as:

...gonep.inst_prim/gf36e2_inst.sngfifo36e2/EMPTY

...gonep.inst_prim/gv.gv3.VALID_reg_2[0]

...gonep.inst_prim/empty_INST_0_i_4/O

...gonep.inst_prim/rd_clk_1

...gonep.inst_prim/gf36e2_inst.sngfifo36e2_i_l_rewire_rewire_replica/O

...gonep.inst_prim/RD_EN_repN_alias

...gonep.inst_prim/gf36e2_inst.sngfifo36e2/RDEN

I actually tied the rd_en of the fifo inst to 1'b1. So I am wondering why there is still a violation. Any idea?

Thanks,

Hao

0 Kudos
mushihao
Observer
Observer

Sorry, I am using VCU128 dev board now. Thanks!

0 Kudos