cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

CRC32 Ethernet Implementation issue

Hi, I have an Ethernet 10G MAC IP in which I am trying to calculate the CRC for the transmitter logic.

Here are the specs:

- I have an 8-byte wide data bus.

- I am using an 8-byte Parallel CRC generator.

My issue is:

When the packet length is, lets say, 14-bytes then in 1-clock cycle I am able to calculate the correct CRC for the first 8-bytes (using the 8-byte parallel CRC generator) but when I try to generate the CRC for the remaining 6-bytes in the next clock cycle using the same CRC generator, I get wrong results. What should I do?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Advisor
Advisor

Re: CRC32 Ethernet Implementation issue

Hi,

For the 14-byte packet example you need to use different 8-byte and 6-byte CRC generators. Using 8-byte CRC on 6-byte data effectively adds 2 bytes of trailing zeros to the calculation, which is incorrect. 

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

@evgenis1

That would use a lot of resources. In order to support all possible packet length, I would have to take 8-different parallel CRC generators and multiplex them as well. I was thinking to reduce the resource utilization and some different way to take care of the extra zeros. I mean, if there is a way through which I can nullify the Zero effect in CRC-32 calculation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Hi,

>> I mean, if there is a way through which I can nullify the Zero effect in CRC-32 calculation

Yes, it's possible to implement that. I've seen it done in designs with 1024-bit and higher data widths.

In finite field theory it's called something like "negative matrix rotation". 

Think about trailing zeros after the end of packet as multiplication of an original packet to a constant. You can calculate CRC on the packet + trailing zeros, then perform an "adjustment" operation to offset the effect of that constant multiplication.

Thanks,

Evgeni 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

@evgenis1

Can you tell me something about "adjustment" ? How in CRC-32 calculations can I do that?

Thanks

0 Kudos