Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Connect Anvyl Spartan-6 to external ADC board

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm using a Digilent Anvyl Spartan-6 FPGA board and have connected it with AD9226 via 2x20 pin connector working at 50MHz. It works well.

Now I need to upgrade my project to sample signal at 500MSPS. I cannot design IC myself so I want to find one external ADC board that can be directly connect to my FPGA board. I have searched online and only found board with FMC connector can work at 500MSPS or higher. But Digilent Anvyl Spartan-6 board doesn't have FMC connector. 

Is there any solution for this without replacing a new FPGA board? 

Could I find any ADC board which can work at 500MSPS with pin connector?

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Connect Anvyl Spartan-6 to external ADC board

Jump to solution

As @zhiq has said, not much chance of getting a suitable board to plug into that. The traces to the pin headers aren't going to be routed for LVDS (nor will the connectors be very suitable for LVDS), and I doubt that there's any 500MSPS ADC that doesn't use LVDS (or something even faster, like CML). 500MSPS without LVDS would mean either pushing LVCMOS at 500Mbps (highly unlikely) or having a massive parallel bus to transfer (for example) five samples at once (also unlikely, too expensive to implement).

Any 500MSPS ADC board is going to be pretty expensive; the first one I can get a price on is the TI ADS54J66EVM, at a cost of $799 US. The cost of a cheap FMC-friendly development kit (eg. a Zedboard or a second-hand ZC702) is not too high, in comparison.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Connect Anvyl Spartan-6 to external ADC board

Jump to solution

Hi Jiazhou,

I think it's difficult to find a ADC extension board without FMC connector, the reasons are:

1. The  500MSPS is high speed ADC, while there seems only general PMOD connectors on this board. I'm not sure if PMOD can support such high speed communication.

2. As we know, the FMC is a common used standard connector in the FPGA application. So most high speed application extension board are all designed based FMC connector.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

As @zhiq has said, not much chance of getting a suitable board to plug into that. The traces to the pin headers aren't going to be routed for LVDS (nor will the connectors be very suitable for LVDS), and I doubt that there's any 500MSPS ADC that doesn't use LVDS (or something even faster, like CML). 500MSPS without LVDS would mean either pushing LVCMOS at 500Mbps (highly unlikely) or having a massive parallel bus to transfer (for example) five samples at once (also unlikely, too expensive to implement).

Any 500MSPS ADC board is going to be pretty expensive; the first one I can get a price on is the TI ADS54J66EVM, at a cost of $799 US. The cost of a cheap FMC-friendly development kit (eg. a Zedboard or a second-hand ZC702) is not too high, in comparison.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I have to concur with @u4223374.  Not only will buying a new development kit get you an FMC connector, it will get you a newer generation FPGA.  A 500MSPS design in a Spartan 6 is really tough.