cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Difference between OverTempPowerDown and XADCPowerDown

Jump to solution

Hi,

I can't figure out what is the difference between those two parameters (from UG628):

OverTempPowerDown

XADCPowerDown

The OverTempPowerDown is also present in the UG908. Does it mean that XADCPowerDown is deprecated.

OverTempPowerDown_Zynq7000

Moreover, it is only present in the Zynq-7000 sub-chapter, not in the 7-Series.  Why ?

Thanks,

Nicolas Mariotti

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
XADCPowerDown is intended to power off the XADC. When it is not instantiated it rubs in default sequencer mode so it will consume some power.
There are power down bits on the block so I guess this is for shutting it off when you don't Instantiate it.

Over temperature shut down is meant to shut down the FPGA design. It goes back to the start. The GTS Is asseted GHIGH AND GWE are both deasserted and it waits for the temperature to drop under the ot lower setting. At this point it re-does the start up state machine that runs at the end of config and the design comes back up
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

when the device has a XADC,

You may use it to set an over temperature alarm.  Then you have to do something about it (like shut off the power, remove the clock, etc.)

The device cannot turn its power off internally itself.  But it will clear configuration:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Welcome-Join/how-can-i-provide-Thermal-Shutdown-Feature-for-7-series-FPGAs/td-p/682226

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
XADCPowerDown is intended to power off the XADC. When it is not instantiated it rubs in default sequencer mode so it will consume some power.
There are power down bits on the block so I guess this is for shutting it off when you don't Instantiate it.

Over temperature shut down is meant to shut down the FPGA design. It goes back to the start. The GTS Is asseted GHIGH AND GWE are both deasserted and it waits for the temperature to drop under the ot lower setting. At this point it re-does the start up state machine that runs at the end of config and the design comes back up

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

I was unaware you could power down the XADC,

Now I know.

Thank you,

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
@austin no problem.

Very small power saving but you can turn it off either via the drp port if you instantiate it in your design or via the bitstream settings.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Thanks,

I understand now. But why does the XADCPowerDown description mention "over-temperature shutdown" which is quite misleading ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

n,

The XADC may be used to trigger an alarm, and provide a signal.  What you do with it is, of course, up to you.  As with all 'features' it is programmable.  That the control of the power is not on the device (must be external) is detailed in the documents.

As with all marketing, an engineer needs to read the data sheet and user guides to wade through hyperbole ...

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose