UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor anjeo
Visitor

Difference between Slew rate and Drive strength

Hi,

There are I/O attributes of slew rate and drive strength.

What is difference between slew rate and drive strength attribute?

Usually, it is explained that slew rate can be controlled by drive strength for the load.

Then, what's the concept of that slew rate can controlled seperatly with drive strength?

Regards,

Hanseok

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Difference between Slew rate and Drive strength

Hi

Have a look at the below links for the definition of drive strength and slew rates which apply to all the devices.

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/What-does-the-quot-output-slew-rate-quot-mean/td-p/413467

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/Kintex-7-Output-Drive-Strength-definition/td-p/412321

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Slew rate help to set the desired  the rise and fall times of output

Drive stregth help to set the desired  output current  to meet the load requirements.

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

Visitor anjeo
Visitor

Thanks but my question is : how can the attribute "slew rate" be treated seperatly with the attribute "drive strength"?

Usually, for steeper slew rate, more drive strength is needed,

for more gradual slew rate, weaker drive strength is required.

(based on I = C*dV/dt )

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Slew rate is mainly meant for timing requirements. The slew rate selction can be done while setting IO standard in ucf file.

With higher loads (Load capacitance)  the rise/fall times increases but not much related to drive stregths.

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

Historian
Historian

@anjeo wrote:

Thanks but my question is : how can the attribute "slew rate" be treated seperatly with the attribute "drive strength"?

Usually, for steeper slew rate, more drive strength is needed,

for more gradual slew rate, weaker drive strength is required.

(based on I = C*dV/dt ) 

Drive strength lets you accomodate heavier or lighter loads. As you increase the load (which at high-speed digital switching speeds is mostly capacitive), you need to be able to source enough current fast enough to charge or discharge the load capacitance. This is why ancient TTL databooks would refer to output drive capability in "number of TTL loads." Not enough drive strength and your signal may not reach a valid logic level when it needs to be valid (by the next clock edge, for example). Too much drive strength and the signal may ring (overshoot/undershoot), which is a signal-integrity problem and can lead to double-clocking and other invalid logic conditions.

Drive strength can be related to source impedance, which is important when matching to trace impedance.

Slew rate is a large-signal property of amplifiers and drivers, and indicates the rate of change of the output from its lowest possible level to the highest (or the converse). If your slew rate is too slow, then as above your signal may not reach a valid logic level when it needs to. Slew rate is defintely taken into account by the timing analyzer tools.

So basically you want the "correct" drive strength based on load and the "correct" slew rate based on output toggle rate.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
Instructor
Instructor

Just to add one point to bassman's excellent explanation, when your load is mostly capacitive (this is typical of modern CMOS circuits) the drive strength will affect the actual slew rate.  The slew control parameter (QUIETIO, SLOW, FAST) limits the slew of the on-chip drivers.  That sets the fastest rate at which the drivers will slew with no output load.  Adding capacitance will slow down the slew rate.  Driving a capacitor you typically use the equation:

C * V = I * T

(capacitance times voltage = current times time)

note that this should really be a differential equation, but it works for constant current.

Solve that for slew rate:

V / T = I / C

So this says that drive-limited slew rate goes up linearly with drive current, I, and as the inverse of load capacitance C.

In the old TTL days, drivers were usually limited to a small number of loads due to the DC current requirements of the load.  With CMOS, you can drive any number of loads if you have enough time to wait for all that capacitance to charge up and down.  Here adding drive strength can increase the capacitive load capability at any given bit rate, or increase the bit rate into any given capacitance.

-- Gabor
Observer a@1
Observer

Hi Team,

What is the numerical value for Slow slew rate and fast slew rate ?

Thanks

Abhilash

0 Kudos