UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sadeesh123
Visitor

Frequency varying by switches

Hi all, 

I am try to develop a signal generator using FPGA, I need to controll the frequencies of the wavee forms using swithech or by volume controller(variable resistor),.

Please guid me......

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Frequency varying by switches

You can use the switches to determine how to step through a sine wave look up table.  For instance, assuming you are normally adding one to the address of the table.  If you use a switch to tell if you should add two, you will go through the table twice as fast and the frequency of the output will double. 

The DDS IP is very good for this.  If you generate one with a phase increment input, this is essentially what that input controls.  The resolution of the frequency control is dependent on the phase width.

Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

@sadeesh123,

@bruce_karaffagave a pretty good answer.  If you want to see some more math behind it, you can check out this article.

Dan

Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

what level you starting from ?

have you generated your own code an dprogrammed FPGAs before, what lanuguage you using ? VHDL / Verilog / HLS ?

Do yo have a board which you want to use ?

what frequency range you looking at ? how many bits ? do yoa want square / sine / triangle waves ?

Are you looking for an analog output or a digital one, what format ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>