Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

GTX Transceivers for 10GBase-KX ethernet

Jump to solution

Good afternoon,

I am designing a circuit card that uses the xc7z045 SoC.  From my research, I notice that Xilinx provides the PCS/PMA IP to communicate via 10GBase-KR Ethernet. 

Can I also use the transceivers to communicate via 10GBase-KX Ethernet?  Or will I need a separate PHY chip?  Does Xilinx provide IP for this standard of Ethernet?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCS/PMA (10GBASE-R) is a no charge Xilinx LogiCORE which provides a XGMII interface  to a 10 Gigabit Ethernet MAC and implements a 10.3125 Gbps serial single channel PHY providing a direct connection to a XFP using the XFI electrical specification or SFP+ optical module using SFI electrical specification. This optical module can be connect to a 10GBASE-SR, -LR or –ER optical link.. Separate phy not needed 

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCS/PMA (10GBASE-R) is a no charge Xilinx LogiCORE which provides a XGMII interface  to a 10 Gigabit Ethernet MAC and implements a 10.3125 Gbps serial single channel PHY providing a direct connection to a XFP using the XFI electrical specification or SFP+ optical module using SFI electrical specification. This optical module can be connect to a 10GBASE-SR, -LR or –ER optical link.. Separate phy not needed 

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Balkrishan,

I had one more follow-up question.  Does the IP also support 10GBase-KX4 (8b/10b encoding), or only 10GBase-KR (64b/66b encoding)?  I am trying to communicate over a VPX backplane using 10GBase-KX4.

Thanks again for your time and expertise,

-Kent

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

The intent of my original question was to discern Xilinx's support of KX4 Ethernet, as opposed to KR Ethernet.  Any technical knowledge on the subject is still appreciated.

Thank you,

-Kenton

0 Kudos