Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daramss
Observer
Observer

Generic Hardware for Evaluating FPGA performance for Image processing Algos

Hi,

What i want to do ? : i want to create a generic hardware card for my self, which helps to evaluate FPGA image processing algorithm , i want to feed image or video input through hdmi interface of PC and receive the processed image on same to see its performance

below depicted is the idea

HDMI_Doubt.jpg

Kindly provide answers to my below questions :

1. is it OK to go with HDMI for this kind of application/problem statement ?

2. are my IC selection proper as i have chosen ADV7511 and ADV7611

3. how to make use of HDMI in-case of gray-scale data, currently i want to evaluate the FPGA for grayscale data, how can i feed a gray-scale data/video over HDMI from PC to FPGA via the ADV7x11 which has YCbCr data outputs

(i took reference from av-net card AES-FMC-HDMI-CAM-G )

4. What is the need of clock synthesizer CDCE913 on the board of AES-FMC-HDMI-CAM-G (schematic attached )

0 Kudos
2 Replies
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

(1) You can do it with HDMI, but that might make getting data to/from the board a bit challenging. You can only send data to the board by displaying it on a "monitor", and you can only receive data through a HDMI input box/card which may do some interesting compression or adjustment on the image.

Perhaps USB3.0 or Ethernet would be a better option? That way you can just send raw image data. It also allows you to do everything on one cable. Or you can do an internal card and use PCIe.

(2) Those should be OK if you want to do HDMI. Note that you can actually do HDMI without any conversion chips; have a look at the cheap Digilent boards for examples on HDMI direct to/from a Zynq chip.

(3) Just drive/read the Y component, ignore Cr/Cb.

(4) Not sure, haven't done much with HDMI.

0 Kudos
daramss
Observer
Observer

Strictly speaking i have image sensor ( PYTHON1300 from OnSemi ) data coming at 60-100FPS at a resolution of 1.3Mp , i want to make hardware capable up to 100FPS

1. Can't HDMI 1.4 offered by ADV7511/7611 handle 100FPS ? but HDMI_Wiki says it can

2. I see my colleagues saying ETH is not good enough to handle such high data rates though

0 Kudos