Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ziggywho
Visitor
Visitor

Guidelines for Mounting SFP Cage

Jump to solution

I am designing a custom PCB with the Kintex 7 FPGA. This design is using a SFP cage and connector combination. I'm doing the circuit design in Altium. Is there a guideline to follow for placing the 20 pin SFP connector (0744410001) in relation to the SFP cage so that when the SFP is plugged in it aligns properly. Any links or advice would be appreciated. Also does an Altium library already exist for the SFP cage.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
allanherriman
Mentor
Mentor

This information can be found in the datasheet for the connector.  You quoted what looks like a Molex part number.

... quick Google for 0744410001 ...

The first hit was to the Digikey page for that connector.  On that page, there is a section called "Datasheets" and the first link in that section is 74441-0001 Drawing.  Click on it to open the PDF.  Page 3 of the PDF has a dimensioned drawing showing the connector pad and mounting peg locations relative to the cage hole locations.

This information would have also been in the SFP mechanical specification SFF-8432.  (Actually, I just checked and it doesn't contain PCB information, just the module, cage and socket dimensions.)

I've never used Altium, so I can't answer your other question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
allanherriman
Mentor
Mentor

This information can be found in the datasheet for the connector.  You quoted what looks like a Molex part number.

... quick Google for 0744410001 ...

The first hit was to the Digikey page for that connector.  On that page, there is a section called "Datasheets" and the first link in that section is 74441-0001 Drawing.  Click on it to open the PDF.  Page 3 of the PDF has a dimensioned drawing showing the connector pad and mounting peg locations relative to the cage hole locations.

This information would have also been in the SFP mechanical specification SFF-8432.  (Actually, I just checked and it doesn't contain PCB information, just the module, cage and socket dimensions.)

I've never used Altium, so I can't answer your other question.

View solution in original post