Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

How diagnosis fake fpga

Hi every body,

I have an fpga board with a kintex 7 fpga on it. Unfortunately the part and barcode isnt clear on it. Is there any way for diagnosis speed and temperature grade with vivado or any otherthing. How can i find the specefication of fpga wihout using the part and barcode on it?

Please help me.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @saxilix123 

It's not best way. But I suggest you to read IDCODE via jtag by ex. Vivado to make sure device by itself.

Best regards

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thank u watari for your reply,
I know when you open a target in vivado the device idcode show in vivado. But i don't anything aboat idcode. Can you explain me, what information can be obtained from idcode. Or in the other word, is there any information include temprature grade of my fpga in idcode?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @saxilix123 

Sorry for late reply.

>Or in the other word, is there any information include temprature grade of my fpga in idcode?

I don't have any idea to make sure tempareture grade in idcode by using jtag.

It' only confirmed by 2D mark on surface of fpga or by measuring delay value on measurement path for confirmation of quality of silicon...

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. 

Can you explain how to measured delay value on measurement path. This is a good idea but i havent any information aboat it. Is it possible to you that give me an example aboat it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If you need to speed-grade identify unknown chips, I would build some IPs doing something at different speeds and checking the (known) result. Prepare the bitstreams for -1, -2 and -3 speeds and flash them, driving an LED is all you need to show what they can run an cannot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Basically ,
No
The ID code can tell you some things, but as far as I remember, it does not contain the temperature grade of your device.

can you work out the grade from running tests on the FPGA ?
No,

any random sample of one test is not representative, what happens over temperature / voltage ?

Basically you rely upon your supplier, which is why they are so important, Even if you can read the codes, how can you guarantee that the part is not fake, only by its providence, any markings can be faked.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Highlighted

@drjohnsmith 

you know, never say no. To be safe, I wouldn't either say absolutely yes.

At least those test can bring some probabilistic insight.

what I absolutely agree with is that a reliable supplier is the best, but things are seldom as wished.

Highlighted

At Xilinx, in building 2,

There is a wall display with reclaimed, remarked parts, resold by unscrupulous vendors.  With parts being scrapped, and remarked, and resold, if it is not a Xilinx authorized distributor, and you did not have full control of the chain of possesion, I would assume you have a remarked, resold part.  Clear evidence is that the part is maked as the most expensive grade possible.  This allows maximum profit to the scammer.  Because of the handling and removal, these parts typically fail in less than a month.  Because the scammers make a lot of money, these remarked parts may be skillfully done, and short of a tear-down, and using sophisticated tools, you will not know these are trash.  They often wind up being sent back to Xilinx where they join their friends on display (because Xilinx can verify their origin, and no, they will not tell you how).

Just. Don't. Buy. From. Aynone. But. An. Authorized. Distributor.

End of story.

l.e.o.

Highlighted

It seems like an important fraction of fakers' revenue go into the skillful disguisal, and that can be most of what the naive buyer pays, while the value they get must approach nil... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

thanks all
In view of the above, I think there is no way to know if it is fake.
In my opinion this is a problem that is better solved by xilinx. And this can be solved by inserting a code like idcode. This increases the reliability of users and clients using fpga

0 Kudos
Highlighted

There is device DNA.  Xilinx is able to track this back to who bought the device, when tested, die XY on wafer, lot ---

But, they are not going to help you unless you bought the device directly, or through the authorized distributor.

So, lose the chain of possession, the device becomes garbage,

Xilinx as no interest in doing anything more.

l.e.o.