UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor mhillman
Visitor

How do I comment on an archived post?

Jump to solution

So thanks to the Xilinx forum experts, I posted a question regarding a CPLD. It was sent to the archived section of the forums which gets little traffic (thanks Xilinx for your stellar support). No one managed to answer it (see it). Anywho, I found a solution, but can not answer my own comment to help any lost souls find a similar answer. Is this intended? Does Xilinx not want to assist anyone still working with legacy CPLDs which they still sell? Any help helping me post at solution to my own question that will hopefully help me help someone else would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor mhillman
Visitor

Re: How do I comment on an archived post?

Jump to solution

Thank you for the response. I have found a much more convenient solution after a bit more searching around and I wanted a way to share it with whomever finds themselves in a similar situation (can't install VM at work). Using a JTAG programmer and software from Diglilent (https://store.digilentinc.com/digilent-adept-2-download-only/). I was able to program a Xilinx CPLD with a SVF file produced by an older ISE development environment. I hope this helps anyone stuck in a similar situation.

3 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

@mhillmanwrote:

We have developed a board which utilizes a XC9500 CPLD and have previously been programming all the CPLDs on a Windows 7 machine using iMPACT. Now that we have been forced to upgrade all of our development computers to Windows 10, it seems that the only way of getting iMPACT installed is to install ISE 14.7 into a VM, but this only seems to support Spartan 6 devices. How do I go about programming our CPLDs now? Is there a stand alone iMPACT that runs under Windows 10 that is compatible with the XC9500? If not, is there a ISE installation that runs in a VM that still supports the older CPLDs?

Thank you in advance.

The only way that I know is using a VM, using the "standard" version of ISE 14.7 that supports the XC9500 (except XC9500XV devices).  This is the version of ISE 14.7 that you need.    If you want to run Impact on bare metal instead of a VM, I recommend using Linux (i.e. CentOS 6.9), since Windows support is pretty much finished.      There is no version of Impact that is able to run on Windows 10, since JTAG drivers were never created for Win10.  

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor mhillman
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for the response. I have found a much more convenient solution after a bit more searching around and I wanted a way to share it with whomever finds themselves in a similar situation (can't install VM at work). Using a JTAG programmer and software from Diglilent (https://store.digilentinc.com/digilent-adept-2-download-only/). I was able to program a Xilinx CPLD with a SVF file produced by an older ISE development environment. I hope this helps anyone stuck in a similar situation.

Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Nice solution!!   Well done!.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos