cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

How to implement log10 (x) in verilog in Vivado?

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I want to write a variable in decibels. So I need to do variable = 10*log10(x).

How to implement log10 on Verilog for Vivado? 

Please help.

Thanks,

Shruthi Sampathkumar.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Sorry I don't have FPGA code handy, but I have implemented a fixed point integer logarithm on small microprocessors.  I used a successive approximation algorithm similar to CORDIC.  http://www.quinapalus.com/efunc.html <= is where I found the basic algorithm.  In my case, I built a Log2() function covering an input range of 1 to 2 with a prescaling loop to find the integer portion of the answer.  Then I used the change of base formula to convert any logarithm to Log2(). example: 10*log10(x) = 10/log2(10)*log2(x).  Gave about 1-bit per loop and I would expect a state machine implementing it to be pretty simple.

Also found this quick discussion that links to a few other algorithms in current use for calculating logarithms. What algorithm is used by computers to calculate logarithms?

Marty

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

A lookup table is common for this, depending on your requirements.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Sorry I don't have FPGA code handy, but I have implemented a fixed point integer logarithm on small microprocessors.  I used a successive approximation algorithm similar to CORDIC.  http://www.quinapalus.com/efunc.html <= is where I found the basic algorithm.  In my case, I built a Log2() function covering an input range of 1 to 2 with a prescaling loop to find the integer portion of the answer.  Then I used the change of base formula to convert any logarithm to Log2(). example: 10*log10(x) = 10/log2(10)*log2(x).  Gave about 1-bit per loop and I would expect a state machine implementing it to be pretty simple.

Also found this quick discussion that links to a few other algorithms in current use for calculating logarithms. What algorithm is used by computers to calculate logarithms?

Marty

View solution in original post

Highlighted

How the lookup table method is used to implement log10 (x) in verilog. Please give me some example?

0 Kudos