cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I want to clock my artix on one board from another board zybo, is it possible?

I want to clock my artix from another board zybo.
So I generate my clock in the zybo board and use one of the i/o pins to take the clock out, this pin is connected to another board pin which contains the artix. This clock received on the other board is then used as the input for a PLL(Si5338) on board. This PLL will further generate the clocks needed.

Now am able to program each board individually, am using two diferent setups(computers) to pass the bitstream but I do not think my artix board is receiving the clock.
If I program the zybo for clock and then connect the boards and then now try to program the artix on the other board it says the hardware is already occupied and am not able to pass the bitstream!

Am I doing something wrong ? or were is it going wrong? how to source the clock properly?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi sneha.chand@htic.iitm.ac.in 

It is possible to clock one FPGA from another one. You can check Zybo clock working with oscilloscope. 

Here, problem is not related to clocking.

I believe you are trying to program two different board with Vivado hardware manager on your PC/Laptop. I mean you have connected two JTAG cable (one coming from Zybo and another coming from Artix-7 Board.) Is that correct?

If yes, you cannot configure or connect two Individual JTAG connection to one Vivado Hardware manager instance. Check https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/Two-Jtag-Programmers-within-a-PC/td-p/931810 and if you have different programming cable then you can follow approach provided at https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64252.html

As you can program board individually, I will suggest following approach:

1. Program Zybo board 

2. Disconnect JTAG cable of Zybo 

3. Connect Artix-7 JTAG cable 

4. Program Artix-7 Board. 

Do not turn off power during this approach. 

Or You can switch between targets connected to hardware manager : check https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_2/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf (page 24 and 25)

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

The zybo clock is working most probably, due to the lockdown situation currently I do not have an oscilloscope to verify.

Next, I'm programming two different boards from two different laptops.

I had the same approach in mind as you suggested, but that was not working so then I started using two different laptops but the issue is still the same. Once I program my zybo, and zybo being connected to the Artix board, now if I try to program Artix it says the HW is already occupied.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi sneha.chand@htic.iitm.ac.in 

Can you share interface details/schematic/diagram of Zybo and Artix-7 board?

Regards,
Bhushan

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos