UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

[Initialize memory] Doubt

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm doing a project where I have a processor design and I have connected it to fpga DDR3 and BRAM. My next step is to connect it with my PC and write/read data from DDR3, I want to know if there is any tool that allows me to write/read into ddr3 what I want without having to generate the bitstream again, due to the only way I saw was to use $readmemb into code linking to a file.

I have worked with Altera and it got an executable that allows to write into memory a hex/bin file in order to initialize it.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: [Initialize memory] Doubt

Jump to solution

The 16550 core has some extra bells and whistles that probably will be more of a distraction then a help. I'd start with the lite interface.  I think you are one your own, writing your own protocol to interpret your own commands sent over the serial interface from the gui. Once received you can use Xil_In32 or similar commands to read from any memory location- register in axi device or SDRAM. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

What external interfaces did you include? Serial? A terminal program on your PC e.g. teraterm could upload a file. Are you asking if there already exists uBlaze software that will read from the serial port and write to memory? Seems like you'd want to do that bit yourself.

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Or are you asking for a bootloader that will accept a new executable from your PC and then jump into it once it has been transferred?

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @rsclancy,

I want to do it by myself, I want to make an interface (GUI with QT Creator) to allow read/write querys into DDR3 memory and I'm not sure if there is any "fast" method where i can link or I should do read/writes using UART interface.

I'm looking at UART IP Cores at IP Catalog and I wanted to know what are the main differences for UARTLite and UART 16550, what should I use?

Thank you and sorry if there are some grammatical errors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

The 16550 core has some extra bells and whistles that probably will be more of a distraction then a help. I'd start with the lite interface.  I think you are one your own, writing your own protocol to interpret your own commands sent over the serial interface from the gui. Once received you can use Xil_In32 or similar commands to read from any memory location- register in axi device or SDRAM. 

View solution in original post

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank you so much @rsclancy. Have a great day.

Regards,

Joel

0 Kudos