Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhouee
Observer
Observer

Internal Glitch within BUFG network Kintex7

Jump to solution

Hello,

After investigation in a heavy design (XC7K160T), our USB block is internally driving by a not gated 11Mhz via a BUFG.

Depending of the logic placement (very few changes) I am sure there is on more rising edge on this 11M clock but inside the BUFG clock network.

I  probe two signals functionally latched on 11MHz rising edge. Then we can see those two signals switching on rising edge but sometimes 15ns after falling edge of the 11M even if probing this 11M externally at the same time doesn’t show any glitch  !!!

So the extra rising edge is inside and may be created by reflected wave or cross talk …

Just changing a bit the implementation strategy option from default to explore fix the problem, and looking at the implemented design I don’t see that much difference !

I pushed more current on power supply to make sure of the stability but no impec.

Is that possible to get glicthes internally like that on clock network  ?

Can we tune the slow rate of a BUFG ?

Regards

Johann

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jhouee
Observer
Observer

Hello,

We checked power is fine on 1V and  I/O power supply as well.

The thing is that one signal we probe which is supposed to be latched on the 11mhz can be latched at rising edge and at another fixed time in the same 11Mhz period once in a while.

Just adding those directive fix the issue, and this signal is always latched at rising edge only:

place_design -directive ExtraNetDelay_high

phys_opt_design -directive AggressiveExplore

route_design -directive Explore

So this is reason why i think something happen on the clock network.

I realy would like to understand what could happen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

To answer the question, Nope,

The buf network will not generate a glitch, but if your feeding it a glitch, one will get through.

not certain on your conclusion from this test,

you dont have a big glitch on the power at the chip do you ?

I must admit, I could be proved wrong, but  I'd look else where for the bug,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
jhouee
Observer
Observer

Hello,

We checked power is fine on 1V and  I/O power supply as well.

The thing is that one signal we probe which is supposed to be latched on the 11mhz can be latched at rising edge and at another fixed time in the same 11Mhz period once in a while.

Just adding those directive fix the issue, and this signal is always latched at rising edge only:

place_design -directive ExtraNetDelay_high

phys_opt_design -directive AggressiveExplore

route_design -directive Explore

So this is reason why i think something happen on the clock network.

I realy would like to understand what could happen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos